+ $199.59 freelance income
No Spend Day!
No Spend Day!
Friday 27th – Tacoma, WA
$5.08 road trip snacks
Saturday 28th – Florence, OR
Sunday 29th – Lincoln City, OR
$55 dune buggies
Freelance Income: + $199.59
Expenses: - $356.13
TOTAL: - $156.54
I had two lunch dates this week with friends, which is a bit out of the ordinary. But both times we went to the same place, and they’ve got a pretty cheap lunch menu, which is why the cost for both days is exactly the same. :)
The rest of the week was spent on holidays in Oregon. Here are some of the expenses, but I’ll recap the entire trip in a separate post, with pictures and everything that we did.
July! This is going to be a busy, but exciting month for me. I’ve got a field hockey tournament to play in, a trip scheduled for Victoria to take my dad to a baseball game, and BF is having a couple of parties for the Celebration of Light fireworks.
Since there are a lot of expenses happening this summer, I’m trying to keep it relatively frugal this month. I added in my expenses for travel (which includes my trip to Oregon from earlier this week), as well as $50 for field hockey. The tournament is only $20, but drop-in sessions start this month and those cost between $5-8. I might not go to many, but at least it’s in my budget if I do decide to go.
I’m also going to try to schedule in a spa day for myself. BF gave me a gift card to a spa for Christmas, and I haven’t used it yet. But now that I’ve passed probation and am eligible for extended health benefits at work, I figure I can use that to my advantage and make this a free spa day! Benefits will cover me for a massage, and I can use the gift card for a facial, or maybe a pedicure. :)
July 2014 Goals:
- Save $800 towards retirement. $600 towards RRSPs and $200 towards TFSA.
- Earn an additional $800. I’ve got a lot of invoices out there, so fingers crossed they come through this month.
- Work out 5-6x/week. I’ll be playing field hockey, running, and using the gym at work. On days that I don’t exercise, I still expect to walk 10-15k steps.
- Get rid of my old television. This is rolled over from last month.
- Fix my sink. This is rolled over from last month.
- No coffee. Recently I tried to drink a cup of coffee, and couldn’t do it. It’s been at least 5 or 6 years since I’ve had a regular cup of coffee, and I just can’t handle the taste. But I love lattes and other fancier drinks. The problem is, they’re too expensive to have on a regular basis. So I’m cutting it all out completely for the month. Better for my health, and for my wallet. :)
- Limit dairy intake. I don’t buy dairy products much on a regular basis, and I almost never have milk, butter, or eggs in my fridge. But I want to limit eating cheese, putting milk in my tea at work, or putting a boiled egg into my lunchtime salads. Those little things are what I’m used to, and I want to see how I feel if I’m really conscious of limiting how much dairy I eat.
Even though my net worth increased this month, I didn’t do very well on my monthly goals. It was a hard month for me. Super stressed out. Work was busy, my personal life was a bit chaotic, and I had a pretty active schedule of things to get done.
We also traveled to Oregon at the end of the month, but didn’t actually plan the trip until about mid-month. That’s why you don’t see anything budgeted for Travel below, and I also didn’t record any of the travel expenses either. Since the trip ended on July 1st, I’m just going to throw it all into July’s budget just to make it easier. :)
- Cell Phone – My plan took longer than expected to switch over to the new, cheaper one.
- Internet – Same with the internet. I still payed the higher price for this month before I get dropped down to the cheaper plan.
- Clothing – I bought a bathing suit. It was a little more than I had wanted to pay, but I’m pretty happy with it.
- Car & Transportation – Can we discuss for a moment how expensive gas is in Vancouver? :( Although I do commute from BF’s house on a regular basis (he only lives 10 min. from my work), I did drive to-and-from Surrey at least three times this month.
- Miscellaneous – I had to buy a new charger for my MacBook Pro.
Net Worth Change: + $1,728 (1.80%)
Big gains this month with my RRSPs as well as my stocks. I also bought my first ETF months month as well. As long as my net worth keeps going up, I’ll be happy. :)
- Work out 6x/week. CHECK! This was a mix of running, hiking, tennis, long walks, and going to the gym. I’m also really proud that I was able to get to a 12+km run this month. I’m still a long ways from being ready for my half marathon, but I’m feeling really good and strong.
- Cut back on sugar. PASS. I didn’t do too horribly with this on a daily basis, but I definitely didn’t say no to celebration cake or chocolate while on vacation. :)
- Earn $1,200 in freelance income. FAIL. I only brought in $497.07 – but I still have about $900 waiting to be paid out.
- Automate my property tax. FAIL. I didn’t even think about this.
- Get rid of my old TV. FAIL. This month went by so fast, and then half way through the month, work got really busy and I didn’t have much free time to do anything. Plus, I was barely home. So, nope. Didn’t get this done.
- Fix my sink. FAIL. BF didn’t have time to look at it this month. Hopefully we’ll be able to take a look in the next few weeks. If not, I’ll just hire someone to fix it.