In a month where there was a lot of uncertainty – writing contracts potentially ending at the same time as deciding to stay in Germany for an extra 4+ months – I think I did fairly well. I billed out for an additional $1,400, and I received my first writing contract as a travel blogger.
I’d like to thank everyone for their support with Frugal Wanderer. I forgot how hard it is to start a new blog from scratch! While I still want it to be personal and keep within my style of writing, I’m trying new tactics with Frugal Wanderer – like actually trying to work on SEO and other types of marketing. It’s something I’ve never done with GMBMFB, so I’m excited to see how it all works out.
- Cell phone – I loaded my German phone with more credit than usual, because I plan on using it while we are traveling in August.
- Household – I seem to never remember to budget in laundry expenses.
Net Worth Change: + $1,222 (+ 1.69 %)
- Go running 6 times. FAIL. I’m just not going to bother listing running as a goal anymore.
- Have all travel plans confirmed for August & September. CHECK! Everything is booked – even my plane ticket to Toronto for #CPFC12! :)
- Find an orthodontist in Stuttgart. FAIL. Orthodontists are really expensive here. I’m going to wait until I’m back in Toronto.
- Increase my net worth by $1,200. CHECK! I just barely squeaked by. It’s tough getting paid in a timely manner during the summer months, with so many people on vacation.
- Contact my banks in Canada. CHECK!
Ongoing 2012 Goals:
- Post a new photo every day on my Tumblr account, My Life In Pixels. FAIL. I really didn’t want to abandon this project, but it’s really hard to keep up with it, as well as Frugal Wanderer and GMBMFB. I know, excuses.
- Only post my own photos on GMBMFB. CHECK!
- Write one guest post for another blog or website. CHECK! I am writing a series of posts for a great website.
July 2012 Goals:
- Go running 6 times. I failed at this last month, so I’m bringing it back as a goal for July. Even though I get a lot of exercise bicycling and walking everywhere, I miss running. My goal is to run for 30 mins each time out.
- Have all travel plans confirmed for August & September. This means booking accommodation (that isn’t included in my sponsorship), flights, and knowing how much train rides will cost. I would also like to do research for each place we will be visiting. It will be a crazy month, and I don’t want to miss seeing anything.
- Find an orthodontist in Stuttgart. One of the reasons why I wanted to back to Vancouver in September was to see my orthodontist. I haven’t gotten an adjustment since January, and I need to get one done. I’m already behind in my treatment!
- Increase my net worth by $1,200.
- Contact my banks in Canada. I need to inform them that I’ll be staying in Europe until the end of the year. Also, I can’t seem to log into my TD Canada Trust online account anymore.
Ongoing 2012 Goals:
- Post a new photo every day on my Tumblr account, My Life In Pixels. I’ve got to get better at posting things daily, instead of a uploading a bunch of pictures once a week. But as you know, I don’t have internet at the apartment, and I’m paranoid of going over my 500 mb data limit on my iPhone.
- Only post my own photos on GMBMFB.
- Write one guest post for another blog or website.
- Household – Since we decided to stay in Germany until the end of the year, we decided to buy a few more things for the apartment – mostly cleaning supplies, as well as a couple of pillows. We are also on the lookout for bed sheets. The overage this month also includes 2 loads of laundry.
- Clothing – I bought 4 cheap tank tops from H&M. Germany is a lot hotter than I thought it would be.
- Travel – Actually I did come under budget for my Athens/Prague trips, squeaking in at $493.28. What put me over was purchasing a roundtrip flight to Budapest ($88.68), and a flight from Istanbul to Kayseri ($38.57) for the fall.
- Personal Care – I bought shampoo, conditioner, and restocked my face cream supply.
Net Worth Change: + $584 (+ 0.81 %)
- Go running 6 times. FAIL. Nope, I didn’t even run once. Not once.
- Read 5 books. CHECK! Add me on GoodReads and we can exchange book recommendations. :)
- Have an empty e-mail inbox by the end of the month. CHECK! I can’t believe I actually accomplished this.
- Attempt to sell 3 things online. FAIL. I’ve set aside items to sell, but haven’t gotten around to listing them online yet. I wanted to use Craigslist, but they don’t actually use that website here. Perhaps eBay is my best bet, or I can just ship it back to Vancouver and try to sell it all on Craigslist once I get home at the end of the year.
Ongoing 2012 Goals:
- Post a new photo every day on my Tumblr account, My Life In Pixels. CHECK!
- Only post my own photos on GMBMFB.CHECK!
- Write one guest post for another blog or website. FAIL. I have been writing and writing on my new blog, and haven’t had time to slow down yet.