Here is your chance to win 1 of 3 copies of H&R Block’s At Home Online Tax Program!
One of the best things I could have done for myself a few years ago was start to file my own taxes. Instead of spending $100+ to go to an accountant, I took the time to learn to do it myself. And not only is it extremely satisfying, but I’ve learned a ton about how taxes work, including deductions I didn’t even know about.
I’ve actually taken a look at a bunch of different tax software (both free and paid), and recently I was given the chance to check out the H&R Block online tax program – and I really like it. And best of all, the program supports all kinds of tax returns. Even if you have complicated ones – which includes self-employed income (like me), rental, or small business returns.
Here’s a screenshot of what the program looks like once you start:
All you have to do is gather all of your income and deduction slips. Then,the program will walk you through your return step-by-step, pick the forms that you will need, do all of the calculations for you, and check for errors.
There are THREE ways to enter (for a total of 3 possible entries):
- +1 entry: Tweet about the contest (copy and paste the following: “I just entered to win free online tax software from @HRBlockCanada and @krystalatwork! Enter now! http://wp.me/pPQjl-2qX“).
- +1 entry: Comment on this blog post and tell me if you file your taxes on your own, or if you use an accountant – and why.
- +1 entry: There is a link to this post on my Facebook page. “Share” the link with your followers.
- I am giving away three (3) codes to file your taxes online with H&R Block. Each person who enters is only eligible to win one (1) prize.
- Only open to Canadians.
- Contest closes February 12, 2012 at 5pm PST.
- The winner will be picked using Random.org.
- If you are an anonymous commenter, please remember to leave your e-mail address when filling out your comment, otherwise your entry will be disqualified.
Good luck! :)
There’s nothing I hate more than having to pay roaming and long distance charges when I travel to the USA. And last year, I traveled a lot. Even with the $10/month U.S. data roaming option provided to me by Rogers Wireless, I still paid hundreds of dollars in roaming charges in the last 12 months alone.
Enter Roam Mobility. This Vancouver-based company is now offering us Canucks a flexible, affordable, and commitment-free (no contracts!) roaming option when traveling across the border.
When I was at the Financial Blogger Conference in Chicago this past September, I ended up paying $10 (data roaming option) + $63.32 (roaming charges) = $73.32. And that was using my data sparingly over the course or just 3 days. Not cool, Rogers Wireless. :|
BUT, If I had used the Roam Mobility talk/text/data plan, I would have only had to pay $24.95. Which would have gotten me 200 MB of data, unlimited talk and text within the US AND back to Canada, plus free voicemail and caller ID. There’s a wide range of plans available for everyone – even data plans for your iPad! Or just regular talk/text plans for those who don’t have data.
I personally cannot wait to use the service during my next trip across the border!
How Roam Mobility works
In order to use this service, you will either need to purchase a SIM card for $19.95 (if you have an unlocked smartphone), or you can buy a reusable travel phone from Roam Mobility for $39.95 (which includes the SIM card). The only down side to the reusable travel phone is that you can’t use data with it, but you can talk/text all you want. :)
When you buy a SIM card on the Roam Mobility website, it will be shipped to you within 2-5 business days. Then, you will activate your device online, and then be able to pick a plan instantly. You won’t receive your US phone number right away, but as soon as you cross the border, your US number will be sent to your cell phone by text message and e-mail.
As long as you use the service within one year, your US phone number will remain active. AND, when you’re not using the phone, you can even share the phone with friends and family who are traveling south.
Exclusive Coupon Code
Roam Mobility has been kind enough to give GMBMFB readers an exclusive discount on their product! For a limited time, you will get $5 off a Roam Mobility SIM or Micro-SIM card (limited to one SIM per customer, regular price: $19.95) AND they will waive 100% of the shipping fees. This will give you a total savings of around $16 CDN. Use coupon code: GMBMFB (valid until 01/31/2012).
Do I have your attention now? :)
Today I’m partnering with Life Insurance Finder to provide this awesome contest. Life Insurance Finder are a great new company that help you find and compare life insurance policies all in one place and without costing you a cent.
All you have to do to enter to win $500 USD cash is tell me what’s on your Financial Bucket List. You can also blog and tweet about the contest too if you want more entries (trust me, you do).
Here are a few items from MY Financial Bucket List:
- Pay off my $6,980 braces bill. It’s currently at 0% interest. I’ve paid off $2,630 so far, and have 6 more quarterly payments of $725 each before it’s completely paid off.
- Get my Emergency Fund to $10,000. This would give me 6 months of living on a barebones budget.
- Put $3,000 towards my mortgage principal. I’m already prepaying by an extra 20% on a bi-weekly basis, but on my mortgage anniversary date in 2012, I would like to put down an additional $3,000.
- Beef up my Travel Fund. I like to keep a cushion of money in this account in case I ever have to make a last-minute trip, or if a great deal comes up that I want to pounce on. Right now, it’s looking pretty sad since I just booked a flight to Montreal. :)
- Retire early. This is my #1 personal finance goal. I’d like to seriously consider retirement by the time I’m 55.
How to enter to win $500 CASH:
PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY. You must leave a SEPARATE comment with each entry in it below for it to count. If it’s not in the comments, each as a separate comment, it will not count (this is how I will track your # of entries).
NOTE: You don’t need to comment 10 separate times that you blogged about it. I will make sure to count that comment as 10 entries. :)
- (1 entry): What’s on your Financial Bucket List! Choose a couple of things on your financial bucket list, and leave them in the comments below.
- (1 entry): TWEET about the Financial Bucket List giveaway! Just copy & tweet the following:
“I just entered to win $500 CASH with @lifeinsurancef and @krystalatwork! Enter here: http://wp.me/pPQjl-2fV“
- (10 entries): BLOG about this Giveaway! Post up YOUR Financial Bucket List to your site – either in text, or in images and be sure to mention you’re trying to win “the $500 Give Me Back My Five Bucks competition, sponsored by Life Insurance Finder, the life insurance experts” somewhere with both links & text fully included. Then include the URL to the post in the comments below. Please note that this MUST be a new post (it cannot be added to an old one), and make sure to include all text and links in your post.
- This is a contest for $500 in cash.
- Open to everyone worldwide. The only requirement is that you have a PayPal account in order to receive the prize. :)
- The contest will run from November 23-December 14, 2011. All entries must be in by Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 at 5pm PST.
- The winner will be chosen using Random.org
- If you are an anonymous commenter, please remember to leave your e-mail address in your comment, otherwise your entries will be disqualified.
That’s it! GOOD LUCK to everyone!
I’m excited to hear what’s on your Financial Bucket List, and I’m thrilled that one person will be $500 closer to achieving one of their financial goals. :)