May 2017 Goals

Well May is a difficult month because RD is gone and I already miss him, but I have a lot of fun things planned – and work is going to be super busy, so I’m looking forward to picking up a lot of OT hours to help pay for all the travel we have left in the year. :)

This coming weekend I’m headed to Seattle for a girls trip with one of my best friends. We’re splurging a bit and taking a cruise ship from Vancouver to Seattle for one night. :) We’ll then stay another night in the city and catch a Mariners game. I’m excited for this trip because we used to travel a lot together, but she had a daughter now, and understandably it’s much harder for her to get away.

I’m also headed home for the May long weekend to take my sister out for her birthday. I booked us a session at the Float House, as well as a massage afterwards. It’ll be pricey, but I’ll be able to claim my massage through benefits, so it’ll be less expensive than last year’s birthday trip to the spa. :) I’ll also get to see some friends that I haven’t seen since Christmas, so I’m really looking forward to that.

News

I mentioned in my April goals review that I got a raise. It’s not a huge bump, but every bit counts, and it does increase my net income by about $220/month which definitely affects my budget. I’m mostly really happy that my  hard work was acknowledged! After thinking it over, $75 of that will be saved for retirement, $100 will go towards general savings, and the rest will be eaten up by lifestyle inflation because this fall we are getting a cat. :)

The second bit of news is that RD and I have bought a condo. We were both really surprised that we found something in just a few months of looking. But it was exactly what we were looking for, and came in under our budget so we’re pleased. We don’t take possession until mid-June, so May’s budget is not affected. I have a big post scheduled for Monday that will run through the details, so stay tuned for that.

Here is my proposed budget for May:

May 2017 Goals:

• Exercise. I bought a one-month pass to YYoga on Monday because it was on sale, but it was still expensive! I went to YYoga last May when they were having a sale on passes, and I loved it because they offer both spin and yoga classes. It was a nice break from the climbing gym, and helped me get my cardio up for the hiking season. I can’t justify a studio pass AND a climbing membership for the year, so this is my one month to get as much yoga and spin in as I can. :)
  • Organize our move. When RD and I moved into our little laneway house 1.5 years ago, he did all of the legwork because I was in Toronto doing some freelancing. So now that the roles are reversed, I have a lot to organize. I’ll need to get quotes from movers and painters (to see if it’s even feasible that we hire them), organize move-in times with the building, look into getting strata approval to do a quick renovation, and start to pack up our home with the things I know we’ll be taking with us.
  • Refresh GMBMFB. I’ve been wanting to do this all freaking year, but this is going to be the month to do it.

Comments

1. Adrianne says:

Congrats on the new home!!! : D

2. Chelsea says:

Congrats on finding your condo, that’s so exciting and you both must be so relieved.

3. Carrie says:

Ah I thought you had bought! :) I noticed an Instagram post that had reference to “when we live here” Can’t wait to read all the details.

LOL yeah I was gonna try to keep it a secret until June, but there are too many things I want to blog about!

4. Jess says:

Confused by the condo thing, I thought
    You wanted to save a certain amount for a down payment, but that hasn’t happened yet. Just a few months ago you wrote the only thing you could afford in Vancouver was a boat.

Yes the only detached home we could afford was a boat. We ended up buying a condo, which works for us because neither of us are interested in maintaining a house and yard. Or a boat. :)

We did want to save $150k for a down payment, and I thought it would take us much, much longer to find something that we loved in our price point. But it ended up only taking a few months. We had $125k saved by then, which I was happy with because we were able to put about 25% down and enough left over for closing/moving/furniture costs. So no we didn’t hit our goal, but I’m still pleased at what we were able to save.

5. Owen says:

Congrats on the condo purchase! Now come the constant trips to Home Depot and IKEA (although maybe it’s different with a condo).

When my family moved into our new home last year we probably made 1-2 trips per week for stuff. Paint, trim, screws, paint rollers, more paint, downspouts… it was endless. Lasted months.

Next time (I hope there isn’t a next time) I’ll budget for that stuff before moving.

6. Congrats! What an exciting month for you! Good luck with the move and enjoy the time away with friends and family.

7. Lots of fun scheduled to keep you busy this month, plus the moving stuff!

Congrats on finding the condo. Not having a yard to maintain is pretty awesome, though I do miss the benefits of having one after living mostly in detached homes before moving to SF.

Is it a pretty new build?

Thank you! :)

It’s not a new build, but it’s a newer modern building for sure. We couldn’t justify paying the tax for a new build lol!