April 2017 Goals

There’s no way around it, April is an expensive month – and travel is the reason why. We went away for the Easter long weekend (also for RD’s birthday), I had to buy baseball tickets for my family’s annual trip to Seattle (now that the Blue Jays are a good team, we have to play premium prices – baseball isn’t cheap anymore!), and we wanted to book our flights to Portugal for September because our flights are very specific and the prices are really good right now. PLUS, I’m headed up to Smithers for 4 days at the end of the month to speak at a writing retreat/conference.

All this spending goes against our goal of saving for our down payment, but we’ve made conscious efforts to scale back our trips, and I’m currently on at least a 3-month shopping ban. We also plan on doing a major purge of our belongings in the summer – including selling RD’s car, as well as a (somewhat) valuable painting that will never hang on our walls. I also have a nice Leica camera I don’t use anymore, a good amount of clothing that I can try to sell or donate, as well as some kitchen items (juicer, blender, etc.)that can go.

Anyway here is the budget for April:

April 2017 Goals:

• Be open – I’m sure some of you can relate to this, but speaking is basically the hardest thing for me to do. I’m introverted, but can do presentations and lead meetings when needed. I’ve also gotten quite comfortable leading meetings and discussions at work, but speaking to large crowds is something I’m just not used to. So when I go to my speaking gig at the end of the month I want to be open to whatever happens. I know my presentation will resonate with some people, but it might not be for everyone. And that’s okay. I want to be open to meeting new people and also being honest when I don’t know the answer to something. I’m not an expert, but I’m passionate about blogging, social media, and being online … and I know enough to help people get started. :)
  • Be budget conscious – Since I have an enormous budget this month, I won’t be able to save anything aside from my automated retirement contributions. So I really want to monitor my budget and make sure I’m not spending unnecessarily.

Those are my only goals for the month. To be honest, this month has been really difficult so far – which is why my monthly goals are so late. Between preparing for RD to leave, freelancing, the personal finance conference, gearing up for work to start getting busy, lots of people wanting to visit, and my upcoming speaking gig, I’ve been stressed. Usually I’d have at least 2 or 3 more goals I’d try to accomplish this month, but honestly I don’t think I can do much more than this. And I think that’s okay! May will be better. I hope. :)

How is your April coming along?

Comments

1. Carrie says:

$250 for a birthday meal?!

No! Sorry I should have been more clear in my notes section. $250 is for all dining out/entertainment for the month PLUS a birthday meal. :)

2. Carrie says:

Haha good to know. I know it’s a bday but seemed unlike you to spend so much on one meal :)

3. lyn says:

Are you having a big presentation coming?

I think at least half of the people on earth is introvert (including me) but somehow – being open is key to everything we do as adults.

4. Marina says:

Hi Krystal, another Vancouverite here, a first-time commenter but a silent reader of your blog since… hmmm… 2010?
    Just want to say that you are a huge inspiration to me in personal finance area, and not only that! I was also so happy to see that at the same time as me and in the same easy-going manner you were slowly transitioning towards more plant-based diet and learning to be more creative in the kitchen (I have OSG cookbook to thank for that big time, and I know you cook from it, too!) I have also been moving towards minimalism and intentional spending, so I very often feel such strong connection to your journey! :) Every time I come here, I find something that deeply resonates!
    Good luck with this month’s goals and the upcoming talk! Oh, speaking of your introverted nature and fear of public speaking… it’s a huge one for me as well… I am doing my yoga teacher training right now and it has helped a lot, but I still sweat :P I am sure you will nail that presentation, and I really like your approach that your talk doesn’t have to resonate with Everyone…
    Also, maybe I can help you out getting some items off your hands… I am on the lookout for a juicer and don’t mind a used one. What kind do you have?
    Take care!
    -Marina.

Hi Marina – thanks for your comment! Always love hearing from fellow Vancouverites. :):) Good luck with your yoga teacher training, I’m sure you’ll do great! And to answer your question about the juicer, the one I have is the Breville BJE510XL Juice Fountain Multi-Speed.

5. Marina says:

Hi Krystal, thanks for your reply. I’m leaning towards a masticating juicer, though. Will keep looking.
    Have a good week!