February 2017 Goals

February has already started off well because I was able to achieve one of my failed January goals of lowering my internet bill before I even had a chance to post this month’s budget. :)

We were paying $66 (plus tax) for our internet – which I thought was way too high considering we’re on the second cheapest plan, and the internet wasn’t even fast enough to support one person watching Netflix and the other person streaming a short video online. So I did some research on other companies in the area, and saw that one was offering a way better plan for $40/month. I’ve been mulling over switching for months, but as a long-time Shaw customer, I wanted to see if they could give me a better rate before I went with the new company.

After speaking with a couple reps, I was finally upgraded to a much better plan with Shaw which will be $50/month for 1 year (no contract needed). I’m happy that I was able to save $16/month AND get onto a plan that will better suit our internet usage. :)

As for my February budget, I anticipate normal spending – no big purchases for the month, aside from the final deposit on our Tofino accommodation in March. Work now pays for my transit pass, but I added in the cost of two tanks of gas because I really want to get into the mountains this month to do some snowshoeing.

February 2017 Goals:

• Rebrand GMBMFB. I’ve already picked out a template and I’m ready to go for it – the only problem is I need to find the time!
  • Cash out a portion of my corporate share program. I just want to take out $3,500 and put it into savings, as that was earmarked as part of my down payment fund.
  • Go to the optometrist. I think I need glasses? :(
  • Take breaks at work. I’m horrible at not taking any breaks when I’m in the office. I usually eat lunch at my desk while I work, and don’t take any coffee breaks. This month I’d like to focus on going for short walks at least a few times each week.
  • Unsubscribe to all triggering e-mails. I did this a few years ago, but unfortunately have re-registered with a few companies to get information on their sales. Except that there’s nothing I actually need! So, goodbye Patagonia, Icebreaker, Arc’teryx, and Fjallraven. I don’t need you anymore Banana Republic, J.Crew, and Anthropologie!

Comments

1. Great goals for February. I never thought of cleaning up my email subscriptions. Something I definitely need to do as well.

2. Jess says:

You got lasik a few years Ago so you shouldn’t need glasses yet

I got Lasik back in 2009, but when I went to the optometrist a few years ago, I no longer had 20/20 vision (she said it was slightly off from that) – and that was just due to getting older. It was nothing Lasik could have prevented, nor could it be fixed by getting the surgery again (I asked, lol). Will be interesting to see how much worse my eyesight has gotten since then.

3. Lisa says:

Awesome Feb goals! Good job on reducing your internet bills. Always an inspiration. Ok, I’m going to try talking Shaw into reducing my bills too now. :D

4. Jess says:

You can get lasik again for free though

5. Matt says:

With telecom bills the trick is calling at least once a year and threatning to quit and switch companies. Each company has a retnetion department that can provide additional discounts by just asking. Check out more tips in this article: http://www.freedomlifeplanning.com/index.php/2017/01/27/spending-effectively-part-i/

6. Jess says:

I wanted to clarify my comment from yesterday. I got Lasik last year and I was told that if the eye I had it on (I only got one eye done) needed any more corrective surgery, it would be free for the rest of my life. Did you go to an actual LASIK?

7. Devon says:

Great job getting your internet reduced! Make sure you mark the expiry date of the offer on your calendar though! They will bump it back to full price with no warning. This happened to us and our bill doubled and I had no clue.

8. Claudia says:

Even if you had LASIK and you don’t need glasses, you should still go for yearly eye exams to check the HEALTH of your eyes. There can be things going on in the back of your eye, even if think your vision has not changed

9. Doc says:

The headings on your spreadsheet should be rearranged. I got the impression that you received $2300 in value for nothing.

10. Buck says:

Way to keep your spending in check! For the optometrist if you need glasses try Warby Parker or Clearly. They can do prescription glasses and ship both ways free. I tried both after my last eye appointment and ended up having to return the glasses, but was very impressed with both companies. Both took the returns no problem at all. Worth trying before you buy crazy expensive glasses from an optometrist.

All the best,
    Buck

11. Multimillionaireroad says:

Hi Krystal. What’s impressive is that you make the effort to squeeze every penny. My philosophy has always been to ignore the small stuff and focus on the big things: earnings, debt, accommodation, car, savings and then let the rest follow that lead. You clearly take a more activist approach to your finances. I wonder what would happen if I did the same thing to each of my outgoings…….

12. ….additionally, in your budget, I was wondering what/ when you use the actuals column? Forgive me, I am relatively new to your site. Great stuff.