It’s been a long time since I’ve blogged, but summer has kind of taken over. July was a pretty fantastic month, and I’m proud of myself for staying on budget. :)
I had originally budgeted to buy a new couch, but it’s a lot easier to talk about buying a couch than actually doing it. I know we will get one eventually, but it’s a big effort so this purchase is on pause for now. We did end up having to break down and buy a fan though, as well as a TV antenna. We got a pretty cheap RCA digital flat antenna and I’m really pleased with how well it works. The HD channels come in very clear, and I’m really, really excited to be able to watch the Olympics!
Another thing I budgeted was for travel – but I redeemed some of my travel reward miles to bring the cost down a lot, and RD paid for the ferry to get to Roberts Creek so that we could visit with his brother and nephew who were there on vacation.
We did a good amount of hiking this month – Elk/Thurston Mountain (after going there the previous month with Nic, I had to bring RD to show him the area), Habrich Ridge, and Crown Mountain. Here are a few pictures:
I also started reading a lot this month! And finally got myself a library card. It’s a bit of a hassle because physical books are so heavy. It’s not practical to take a couple of books in my backpack for a weekend hiking/camping trip. So I still see myself buying ebooks for my Kindle, but it’s nice to save some money by using the library. :)
Anyway onward to how I did with July’s budget:
- Clothing – I bought a pair of shorts for hiking. They’re perfect, except they stretched out a little and are now too big for me around the waist. I’m considering just getting them altered instead of returning them because they’re so comfortable – and since I have pretty muscular legs, it’s super hard to find shorts that fit them. :|
- Fitness – I bought a bunch of protein bars, etc. for hiking, as well as a pair of socks, and paid for the Grouse Mountain gondola ride down after we finished hiking Crown Mountain.
Income and Savings:
This month I hit my 50% target by saving 67.8% of my income! :) I’ve been really happy with my savings rate this year, and the progress I’m making towards my goal of early retirement.
July 2016 Goals:
- Exercise 2-3 times/week – CHECK! This was a mix of the gym, yoga, spin class, and hiking.
- Organize my computer files – PASS. This was a huge task, but I did manage to organize all of my photos from the past 3 years into my filing system, so I consider that pretty good progress.
- Do research for our 3-week Yukon road trip – CHECK! We have a pretty solid plan on where we are going, now we just have to book accommodation! :) Right now we’re planning on Liard River Hot Springs, Kluane National Park, Tombstone Park, Whitehorse, Dawson City, and also a couple of days in a cute little yurt we found on AirBnB.