July 2016 Goals

It’s full-on summer now, and I can’t wait to spend as much time as possible outside over the next two months. :) This month is going to be a low more low-key than June, with most of the month spent in the city. But city life = more entertainment expenses, especially during the summertime. And that’s reflected in this month’s budget.

13533115_10153551309085248_8201331861948235644_nI have some social commitments booked for this month already – including dinners out and at least one or two Vancouver Canadians games to attend – which is why my Entertainment and Travel categories are a little more than usual. RD’s brother is also coming into town, so we’ll be going for brunch with him, as well as going up to the Sunshine Coast for a short day trip.

Next month we’ve already booked a two-night getaway to Mayne Island. If you’re not from BC, you might not have heard of the camping outrage happening right now in this province. Basically it is near impossible to book any Provincial Park campsites within 2-3 hours of Vancouver. You can book up to 3 months in advance, but if you’re not booking the second it becomes available, you’re basically out of luck. So we ended up booking at a private campground that cost us 40% more than a Provincial Park.

Still though, costs will be kept quite low for our weekend away because camping is always cheaper than renting a cabin. Plus we’ll be taking our bicycles across on the ferry instead of a car! Thankfully the campground isn’t too far away from the ferry terminal, because I have a feeling we’ll be lugging a lot of food along with us in our backpacks – not to mention a bottle or two of wine. :)

I also budgeted $300 into Household because we desperately need a new couch. I had a great couch, but it was too big to fit up the stairs of our tiny little house. So we gave it away and bought a new (used) couch off Craigslist. This couch looks great, but we both agree that it has to go. So I’ve budgeted some cash for us to find another used couch off Craigslist – preferably the same brand and model as my old couch, but just a little bit smaller.

Here is my budget for the month:

07-July2016-Budget

July 2016 Goals:

• Exercise 2-3 times/week – Field hockey is just around the corner, and I need to be in shape so that I can stay healthy this season.
  • Organize my computer files – This is a task I’ve been dreading for a while now. I have so many photos and documents that need to be filed, and I want to get it done now because when I eventually buy a  new laptop this year, I want everything organized and ready to go.
  • Do research for our 3-week Yukon road trip – we’ll need at least a bit of a timeline so we can book accommodation (when we aren’t camping) and make sure we hit all the spots we really want to see. So far on the list we have Liard River Hot Springs, hiking in Kluane National Park, and drinking sourtoe whisky. :)

Comments

1. $300 for a month’s worth of food is really impressive, Krystal. Is that including dinners out? You’re entire budget looks great, especially with the trips you’ve planned. I’m hoping to get some camping in the Smokey Mountains before the end of the summer :)

No, dinners out get put into the Entertainment category. Groceries, lunch while at work, and coffee goes into Food category. Might not make the most sense, but that’s what I’ve always done, haha. The Smokey Mountains and they look beautiful!!! I hope to get there one of these days. :)

2. Organizing computer files.. Something that I know I should be doing too but am neglecting..

3. Nikki says:

Check out the Gumboot in Roberts Creek! Service is hit and miss (runs on Creek time!) but the food is delicious. They have their own garden where they grow their own greens, and they use free range or local foods whenever possible. Their yam fries and chipotle mayo are literally amazing!

Awesome – thanks for the recommendation! I’ve never stopped in Roberts Creek before, so know nothing of the area. :) Obsessed with yam fries and chipotle mayo so we’ll probably end up checking it out, haha!

4. Can I ask what you use for budgeting- do you use Quicken, Mint or…?

I’ve used Quicken and Mint in the past (definitely prefer Quicken), but I ended up going back to my own Excel spreadsheet. I just like how I can fully customize it to show the exact data I want, in the way that I want to see it. :)

5. A Yukon roadtrip! That sounds unreal. I have a couple of people who have lived in the Yukon and absolutely loved it. I hope you have an amazing time!

Thank you! Yes, I’m super stoked. Neither of us have been that far north in Canada before, so cannot wait to explore. :)

6. Lynn Ling says:

Great goals for July, I hope to do the same too especially sorting out the digital files and get some exercise to stay young.

7. Lee says:

Hey Krystal,

I am just wondering if your 825 rent is after the split with your bf so the total would be 1650 or is it actually only 825? I am just curious as rent is so crazy these days in Vancouver.

Hi Lee – the $825 rent is after the split – so we are paying $1,650 total. :) We live in a really great neighbourhood, and what we pay is actually on the low end for what’s available here.