March 2016 Goals: Recap
March was an insane month, and I’m glad it’s over. :) And even though my poor planning resulted in spending more on food for the month, coming in almost $300 under budget overall for the month makes me really happy. I’m especially pleased with the fact that I only had to fill up my gas tank once for the entire month. And considering we spent without any regard to budgeting while we were gone, I’m really happy we came in under budget for our trip too.
- Food – I decreased my grocery budget this month because we were going to be away for a week … but I failed to realize that as a result of working a lot of overtime during the 2 weeks leading up to vacation (and trying to maintain our regular climbing schedule), we’d be buying lunches and getting take-out for dinner a lot more often than normal. :(
Income & Savings:
This month I saved 71.5% of my income, and brought in just over $5,000 in freelance income. It’s nice when those invoices get paid out on time. :)
March 2016 Goals:
- Practice yoga once a week – PASS. I didn’t practice yoga, but I made sure to bring stretching into my (almost) daily routine. And after running and/or hiking, I did a lot of stretching and yoga poses to cool down.
- Do my taxes and get organized for next year – FAIL. Nope. I was too busy this month to finish.
- Look into getting a credit limit increase on my credit card – FAIL. I didn’t look into this at all.
- Save $2,000 towards retirement – CHECK! At least I was able to accomplish one goal from this month. :)
Author: Krystal Yee
I’m a personal finance blogger and marketing professional based in Vancouver. I’m a former Toronto Star (Moneyville) columnist, author of The Beginner’s Guide to Saving and Investing, and co-founder of the Canadian Personal Finance Conference. When I’m not working, you can usually find me running, climbing, playing field hockey, or plotting my next adventure.