From home ownership to renting

I mentioned in a previous post that my housing situation has changed dramatically. In the summer I hinted at the idea of selling my house and moving into Vancouver to be closer to work, my friends, and where I spend most of my life. So back in August, I put my townhouse on the market just to see what would happen. There was a lot of interest, and finally I accepted an offer earlier this month. :)

That means I’m moving! But I’m not just moving into an apartment… I’m going to live out my small space living fantasy by renting out a laneway house in Vancouver. For those that are not from the Vancouver area and might be unfamiliar with laneway houses, these homes are typically built on a pre-existing lot (usually someone’s backyard). They are usually detached from the main house and open onto the back lane. My laneway house is a two-storey, two-bedroom house that measures about 685 sq.ft. It’s extremely cute, and I can’t begin to tell you how excited I am to live just a 10 min. drive to work, and within a few blocks of my favourite neighbourhood in Vancouver.

I had a short introduction into small space living in 2012, when I lived in a 215 sq.ft. apartment with a boyfriend for a year in Germany I don’t think I would want to live in a space that small long-term with another person (at least not that specific space – it did not function very well and there was no storage), but it definitely showed me that I can do with a lot less than what I have and still be completely happy. So now that there’s 685 sq.ft. for two people, it seems really doable.

With my new job, I will also be getting a modest bump in salary, which will increase my monthly saving amount. But I want to get right to the fun stuff – and that’s creating a new budget for a new living situation. :)

This is what my initial thoughts are for my new budget:

January 2016 Proposed Budget

A few things to note:

• This is not a fair representation of home ownership vs. renting as I’m also going from living alone to living with somebody else. Creating this mock budget for the first time really made me realize how much more I was spending over the last 5 years living solo. Back in the summer, I did create another mock budget to see how much I’d save if I went from owning to renting as a single person ($400/month). So while this isn’t a truly fair representation, it doesn’t result in a *massive* difference in my budget living with someone vs. living solo.
  • My townhouse had rental restrictions. A lot of people suggested that I rent out my townhouse and move into the city. However, my building did not allow for rentals, so this just wasn’t an option for me.
  • Monthly rent on this house is $1,650. For a two bedroom in an extremely desirable area in Vancouver, this is quite reasonable, but definitely not the cheapest option out there.
  • We will be splitting the cost of utilities and internet. Electricity will go up a bit as we are heating a whole house, but that increase is offset by the fact that it’s now a shared expense. Renter’s insurance has been quoted at $30 per month.
  • I anticipate my monthly grocery budget will go down a little bit as I’ll have more time to prepare more meals from scratch.
  • Car insurance is not accurate – it will likely cost a bit more now that I live in Vancouver.
  • The cost of gas is cut in half now that my daily commute to work is 10 minutes instead of 45-60 minutes. :)

Related: Single? It’s costing you more than you think.)

As you can see, I *think* I’ll be able to slash over $700 from my budget each month without changing my lifestyle through variable expenses. Unless I’ve made some glaring error. This is a significant amount, and I am really excited about it. If you add to that my modest pay raise, and if I am vigilant in saving my savings, I could potentially put away an additional $1,000+ each month.

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

Cool stuff. I hope this is a great move for you! Some questions: have you considered adding RRSP and TFSA contributions as monthly expenses in your budget? That’s how I think of them and it’s very helpful. Next, how did you decide to split the rent 50-50? Do you have the same income as your new room mate? Or does he/she make more or less? I would imagine the equitable thing to do is pay proportionally based on your income (though this should apply to all joint expenses, not just rent).

I have never considered adding RRSP/TFSA contributions to my monthly budget, but it does make sense as they are fixed expenses that are automatically debited from my account every pay cheque. I’ll put some thought into it before I roll out my official January budget. Thanks!

As for rent, our income is about the same. So it was easy just to split everything 50-50. I suppose if there was a big discrepancy in our income levels, we would have had a longer discussion about whether splitting household expenses 50-50 was the fair thing to do. I would be interested in knowing how many people split expenses 50-50 regardless of income levels, and how many split proportionally, so maybe that’s a future blog post!

• Krystal says:

New roommate or did you call one of your old boyfriends when you realize you couldn’t make it on your own

• Anonymous says:

Well, I do recommend adding the TFSA and RRSP as costs. Similarly, I have dedicated savings accounts for home repairs, car repairs, vacation, etc., that I throw a few hundred bucks into every month. So when your transmission explodes, you have the cash ready to take care of it. Put them into your budget! It’s fun savings!!!

Ahh I see, yes I do have all my savings allocated into my monthly budget spreadsheet. I just don’t share them as budget line items on this blog. This was actually something I used to do (you can see them in all of my very old budget recap posts), but discontinued it because when I stopped blogging anonymously, I wanted to maintain a bit of privacy in terms of how much money I was making. Something to consider for sure!

2. Congrats on selling the house and finding the new place. Sounds like you found a good location. I know the commute must have been difficult on you.

Wouldn’t your insurance now be lower though because you live closer to work and commute time is shorter? Or does your insurance not factor that in?

Thanks! :) Insurance in Vancouver is higher than in the suburb where I currently live… not sure how much higher, but it will definitely change a little bit.

3. Tammy H says:

How much below your listing price did your home end up selling for? If you’re not comfortable giving a dollar figure, then perhaps a percentage?

4. Allan Miller says:

Hey Krystal, it sounds like a great idea. 10 mins from work is brilliant. Having driven from Abbotsford into Vancouver with our son numerous times over the years, I have always found the traffic to be insanely ridiculous. We’ve never had a run where the traffic wasn’t at a crawl/standstill at some point.

5. Kayla says:

Congratulations Krystal! I have been reading your blog for a few years and I am so happy to hear about these exciting new changes for you. You pointed out something I didn’t know–that insurance goes up based on where you live! I’m in Victoria, but I’ve moved around between municipalities and I wonder how much of a difference that makes.

How is your vegan challenge going? :)

6. Great news! Congrats on your home sale. I always enjoy making a new budget – I don’t plan to move, but there is a new calendar year coming up…

7. angela says:

Are you going to post a recap on the return on your house investment?
    ie
    capital gain +rent saved
    less purchasing costs + expenses & interest
    it would be helpful to know how you came out vs renting a comparable house?

Yes! I’ll do a recap, but likely not until January as I won’t know the full costs until I get exact figures on fees. :)

8. Peter says:

great analysis on the numbers for renting vs buying. I don’t think people put enough worth into a commute these days. They moan and groan and say they would love to work closer to home. The reality is, it is difficult to change jobs just to be closer to home. And it is even more difficult to move from owning to renting. Congrats on setting an example that it can be done.

9. Joel says:

Congratulations on your home sale. Invest your “modest bump in salary” into RRSP, TFSA or emergency fund. (Whatever works for you so long as you avoid increasing your lifestyle).

10. Joel says:

How is public transit in Vancouver compared to suburbs? What transit options are in your neighbourhood? Why not take public transit to work and limit car use to evenings or weekends which saves even more money? Winning!

I checked into transit; a one-zone bus pass costs $91 and my parking spot is only $60 …. so I’m not sure it makes sense. Especially since the bus takes 30 min. each way and driving is just 10 min. :| It’s easy to re-evaluate in the future though!

11. “Creating this mock budget for the first time really made me realize how much more I was spending over the last 5 years living solo.”
    Good point. However, there are some things single people can do to help reduce costs. Mainly renting to tenants.

That’s true Sean… but only if that single person has the ability to buy a house or property with rental capabilities. Most of us are only able to afford a condo or townhouse. :)

• melissa says:

I’m a bit with Sean here but for different reasons…I kinda feel like you compare apples and oranges here because you aren’t just going from home ownership to renting, you also are now living with someone! big difference.
      For a more accurate reflection of savings of renting vs owning your baseline (1 vs 2 people) needs to be the same. Your July post is a lot more fair in terms of comparisons (savings of about $400/month).

I live alone and unless I live with a partner in the future who I’m compatible with, the extra cost is totally acceptable. Especially because I have no debt, no kids and no spouse with debt or kids! Also I save on therapist bills of living with someone who makes me nutso. :P

There are a lot of parameters that go into a decision and a lot of options, as Sean alluded to, that may make living alone actually more feasible than not.

12. Tofu says:

Have you thought about biking to work. Get rid of your vehicle and save thousands a year.

I have definitely considered biking to work but I want/need a car and it’s not something I’d consider getting rid of for now. Perhaps in the future we can downgrade from 2 cars to 1, but biking to work isn’t really an option at the moment as there are no shower facilities and I’m not into getting sweaty in my work clothes. :)

13. Tamir says:

Congrats! Too bad it’s not a real apples to apples comparison as moving in with someone usually has a positive impact on personal finances, since single people end up paying the same for most utilities that couples do.
    If you kept your townhouse and had your roommate / partner move in with you there you would have had a savings increase no matter.

14. Tim B.. says:

So the real savings was from getting a roomate / live-in partner. Had he/she moved into your townhouse you would have had a similar savings. Still, better to live close to work than spend commute time sitting in traffic !
    Congrats on your move.

15. Tom Winand says:

Interesting comparison! I would say it may be a little short sighted and not taking the whole picture of home ownership into view. I challenge you to look at the financial aspect of owning a home with appreciation and tax advantage. I’m in the States so I have no idea in your area much a home appreciated a year. Here Over time it’s is between 3 and 5% of the home value not just the capital you have invested. We get an interest write off at 100% on taxes. I think your homes are a lot more expensive then the homes in Salt Lake City are. Lets take an average home in my area $250,000 increasing 3% a year that %7,500 in appreciation and you write off the interest in your taxes so that’s a wash. Some other thing to consider could you have had a room mate producing $600 or so a month in income. If you put that $600 towards paying off your mortgage in 30 years, we’ll now its 24 years with the prepay you have your home free and clear. Also at 3% appreciation your home value would have doubled in 24 years. Your fixed rate mortgage is inflation proof so it doesn’t have increases like rent over that time. Sure taxes and insurance will and there is maintenance. If you take into account your rent will more then double over the next 24 years and that money mortgage you get no financial benefit from. How dose home ownership vs renting look now when in 24 years you have a $500,000 asset that if you sell in the US all the $ are tax free because your appreciation less your maintenance is less that $250,000? If I were in your shoes I would have bought a 4 plex in the city and really created a retirement for my self in 20 years or so.

• Krystal says:

It would be great to hear the blog owner respond to these kind of comments. Krystal has a reputation for making big decisions without a lot of thought behind them.

It was not just a financial decision for me. The main reason why I wanted to sell my house is because moving into the city would increase my happiness. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for over a year, as my plan was always to re-evaluate my living situation once my 5-year mortgage was up.

Check out this blog post I wrote back in the summer: My biggest home buying regret was not fully considering the future

Living in the suburbs made sense for me 5 years ago when my friends and my job were located nearby. I love the community I lived in, and I still do. I wish I could stay, but the commute (usually 45-60 min. one-way – sometimes up to 90 min.) is too much of a burden now that my work, my relationships, and my social activities have taken me into the city. It’s not pleasant to spend 2+ hours commuting to work every day, and I like the idea of being able to walk/bicycle to restaurants, run errands, or meet up with friends. Living in the suburbs, that just wasn’t possible.

Owning a home in the city was absolutely not a possibility for me. Not only am I extremely wary of the real estate market right now, even if it was stable, a $300k budget wouldn’t get you much more than a crappy 1-bedroom condo. I do plan on owning again in the future, I just don’t know when. Or where. And that’s the beauty of renting. I’m not committed to any specific location or space for more than a year at a time. :)

16. Bruce says:

Have you considered buying a property that you can rent out and using the income to help pay your rent?
    Interest and condo fees become deductible and you get capital appreciation that you can shield from tax by deeming it your principal residence.

At this point I’m not interested in owning rental property. I’m very wary about housing prices in general in Vancouver, and would rather wait a bit to see what happens before getting back in the market.

17. Phoebe says:

Congratulations. I went from owning to renting in order to be able to walk to work in 25 minutes and be close to the areas I love. For me the change paid off BIG in terms of my quality of life.
    Purely from a finance point of view renting out the house would have been a very good decision, however I know myself – I am not interesting in being a landlord or having those concerns – that would take away from my quality of lie.

18. Bram says:

Congrats. Seems like good choice.
    You mentioned ‘close to my favorite neighbourhood’.
    Curious: So what is your fav Van hood?

I’m near the Main Street/Mt. Pleasant area now. :)

• Bram says:

Nice. That area recently underwent a facelift indeed.
        It’s getting trendier every year.

I’m still waiting for some of that main street buzz to spread further South.
        The further South on Main St you get, the less vibrant.
        Too many empty store fronts in Sunset.

19. CJM says:

Hey Krystal,

Typically our three major goals in life are to get married, have kids, and to own a home. It sounds like you are not ready for anything, but to have fun, which is okay, but not a very good financial plan? For what you are saving in money by moving into someone’s lane home (really treehouse in someone’s backyard, and having to share this with someone to make ends meet is for college students. You went from owning something to owning nothing? Now, I don’t know what you had owned, but if it was decent, then there is no way that I would recommend you go and help someone else out in making money renting out their backyard. Put that money into your own pocket. But if your current situation had you going into debt, then yes, rent out someone’s backyard. We have to do what we must in order to make ends meet. But you and I know, can’t live like this forever, especially if you want a family! My suggestion, purchase a decent home somewhere in an area you can afford. If you can’t afford Vancouver, so what. Make it a goal to get there someday, but to rent a treehouse??? Well as long as it makes you happy, who am I to judge? Go for it Krystal! Thumbs down on this financial plan.

Typically yes, people want to get married, have kids, and own a home. But what if I don’t want any of those things? I might, but I also might not. So in my opinion, my best financial plan is to save money, and be flexible. I don’t have to decide right now what I want and what I don’t want in life. Renting provides me with that flexibility, and it also allow me to invest more money towards my #1 financial goal, which is to retire early.

I also didn’t decide to share a laneway house with someone to make ends meet. :) My financial situation lends me perfectly capable of renting out my own place in Vancouver. But I chose to live with someone because we wanted to live together. And in my opinion a laneway house is much more desirable than a basement suite or an apartment building.

Finally, there’s no way at this point in my life I would consider buying a house in Vancouver. I can’t afford it now, and even if I could afford it in the future, I don’t think it’s something I’d be interested in either. Home ownership is not something everybody desires, and in some cases you’ll come out ahead in the long run if you rent. I’ll likely buy again in the future, but who knows how long I’ll end up renting for. Renting is not something that should be looked down on as inferior to owning, and that’s something I’m going to be touching upon in an upcoming post. My boyfriend and I have very comfortable salaries, but you cannot put a price tag on the freedom that comes with renting.

• CJM says:

Really? You have comfortable salaries, yet you choose to rent 685 sq ft? Just state the obvious and admit you can’t handle the responsibility of owning a home. Renting would make sense then. As for you might get back into ownership someday, seriously Krystal, work it out now. You would be much better off owning your own condo, townhome, houseboat, trailer, than renting someone’s backyard. You would only rent because you have to, or it’s necessary for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, renting is for people like you to make people like me money, and help me build upon my financial plan.
        Oh, and let me state the obvious about 685 sp ft. Where will go when you and your partner have an argument and will want to have some alone time. Will you go out to the car, or sit in the bathroom, because there isn’t anywhere else to go to be by yourself? Oh, but wait, now I know what the purpose of having a Landlord is? I hope you don’t have to figure that one out!
        Renting is a means to hopefully owning one day. The sooner the better. Good luck.

I laughed when you started talking about how small the space seems to you. Because to me, it seems perfect. :) I am a huge believer in small space living. I love the idea of living in a cozy home that maximizes storage opportunities and space. My townhouse that I just sold was under 700 sq.ft. and I was constantly talking about how it was too big for me. So 685 sq.ft. is perfect for two people. A couple of years ago, I lived in 215 sq.ft. for an entire year with somebody else, and it worked out extremely well. Our new laneway rental is a two-bedroom, two-storey home. There will be plenty of space to have alone time if we require it. :)

If my renting helps you build upon your financial plan, while also helping to build upon my own financial plan, then isn’t it a win-win situation? I am completely happy with my life, and I don’t feel lacking or jealous that I no longer own a home. Honestly, as long as I’m able to 1) live comfortably, 2) travel often, and 3) retire early, what else is there to life? I’m on track to achieve all of my personal finance goals because I make them a priority. Whether I own a home, become a landlord, etc. in the process, well those are just details. Because I wouldn’t dream about doing anything that would jeopardize my quality of life and my financial goals.

There are many people who don’t just rent because they have to. It goes against what is traditionally taught to us, but we don’t have to live life exactly the same as everyone else. I acknowledge your passion for home ownership. But please understand that there are people out there that don’t think the way that you do, and there’s nothing wrong with that. My way is not better than yours, and yours is not better than mine – it’s just different. Home ownership is not THE key to financial success, it’s just one potential way to get there.

• CJM says:

Being currently happy with your financial plan/goals is great. Is home ownership for everyone, of course not.
            Where you and I will disagree is that 685 sq ft. isn’t living, it’s surviving, maybe more like camping!! If the place you owned was only 700 sq ft. then I thank you for helping me understand. Living in small quarters is what you are use to. You seem to really enjoy it!
            Really I’m not talking about living life exactly like everyone else, or what’s traditional, I’m talking about financial common sense. You want to build a decent financial plan, then don’t rent anything, own it!! You would only rent because you’re not sure of your plan.
            If you’re blogging about how to live life as frugally as possible then you win. You want to discuss renting vs. owning, well from what you have been saying, I’m suggesting not to go there, unless you are actually holding a financial planner/advisor licence of some kind?
            Something else I would like to comment on. You said as long as you are able to….1) live comfortably, 2) travel often, and 3) retire early what else is there to life? Well, not sure how old you are, but 1) live comfortably (I think you still need to work on this), 2) travel often (I really hope you are getting to do this instead of having to work all the time) 3)retire early (I don’t know what the big deal is in having to retire early? If you enjoy what you are doing you should want to work as long as you can. But retiring early may mean something different to you? Maybe you mean being financially independent?) Anyway, all wrong.
            Maybe one day you might understand this. To you life is about living in small spaces so you can travel all the time and not have to work? It’s what I call the ME mentality. All about me, when in fact what else there is to life is building a loving relationship with someone, and have children which will continue your legacy. Until you actually get to see your eyes, ears, toes, hands, feet etc. on your child will you actually then understand what there is to life. Nothing else is more important. You will want to be living in a place bigger then a sardine can, you will then want to provide for your family instead of worrying about retiring early. And yes, your financial plan will be much different. You want proof? Ask your parents about this. Until then, go have fun, keep preaching to the millennials and gen x’s, and fill your boots. If you decide to have a family one day, well, you just wait, it will be one of the best decisions you will have made!! Better get your travelling in early if you decide on going the children route!! and Oh! Ya, nothing is more important than your health. Without it, nobody’s plan works.

• Anonymous says:

So sad that an asshole like this has already spawned.

• CJM says:

Whoa Krystal, did you go and get your number one fan to come after me? The Anonymous Maggot. The same Anonymous Maggot that is so caught up on making sure you consider your RRSP/TFSA’s to be costs? The same Anonymous Maggot that dedicates savings accounts for home repairs, car repairs, vacation, etc. Using the example that when your transmission explodes, you have the cash ready to take care of it? Begging you to put this stuff in your next budget and actually calling it “fun savings!!!” Wow!!
                Hey Anonymous Maggot, if the best example you can come up with is to save your money just in case your “transmission explodes”, maybe you should make sure to add in another category to your budget and call it “new car” because you should really consider trading in your 1970 AMC Gremlin if all you can think of is a transmission explosion! And hey, just think, you can always look at it as another reason for…….”fun savings!!!” But then again, I bet you don’t even have a vehicle, the big financial person you are. With all your 18 different bank accounts you have set up for each little “fun” savings category. Probably have to take the bus! How did your parents spawn an idiot?

20. Kelly says:

You definitely have a right to live your life anyway you want but you shouldn’t be holding yourself up as making smart financial decisions anymore or being frugal. Spend your money how you like and own your decisions, but you shouldn’t be a model for financial planning anymore. I know you are going to have a reply about how personal finance is an individual issue …but come on. As soon as I heard you decided to pay of a 0% car loan instead if using the funds to avoid paying additional mortgage insurance I knew you were doomed. You can pretend you’re happy renting but a few short years ago you were all over your goal of owning. Until you actually can prove renting vs owning is better over the long term I’m not buying it!

Yes! I was totally stoked 6 or 7 years ago when I was saving up for my down payment, and the last 5 years of home ownership were great. But I’m not here to hold myself as “a model for financial planning.” The intention of this blog has always been to give people a window into the life of a normal person making normal financial decisions. Sure it would have been great to continue to own my place, but my life has taken me to another city (Vancouver), and that’s just how it goes sometimes.

I know that renting vs. owning is better over the long term for me because it greatly increases my level of happiness. I cut down on hours of commuting every day, and I get to live a 5-10 min. walk from the areas of the city that I spend the most time in. It’s a lifestyle choice – one that will greatly reduce my dependency on a vehicle. It will also significantly decrease my expenses, allowing me to save more money every month (and potentially earn more money too, as now I’ll have 2 hours extra each day to take on freelance work).

21. Anne-Marie says:

I am 77 years old and I would love to downsize (from 1400sf) and move into a rental. However, while there are a lot of rental possibilities in the major cities, there are very few in smaller towns. I need single floor living and a garage. The cost (when available) would be more than what my house costs now (no mortgage), besides the fact that it would be less comfortable. Everything in rental, when available, has stairs and/or outdoor parking, or costs more than the house.
    The only option in my town is buying a small condo — so I would have to own again.
    It is very easy to look at buy – rent alternatives when the alternatives exist. Until smaller communities realise that townhouses do not fit the “senior” demographic (as though we were a homogeneous whole), we are stuck. The choices are larger houses and maintenance we do not want or buy smaller, manageable units. Who benefits? Real estate agents? Mortgage providers? Retirement homes? Certainly not us.

22. Heidi, Toronto says:

Hi Krystal,

I recently stumbled onto your blog, and I am really enjoying it!

Newly divorced, in my late 30’s – With the money that my ex-husband bought me out of the townhouse we used to share, I would still need to save for another 2-5 years aggressively to buy another place on my own. I’m currently renting and is ACTUALLY enjoying the hassle free lifestyle compared to owning a home and the endless articles about the advantages of renting vs. buying, the thought of renting in the long term is now more and more appealing to me. Plus, I actually have extra money that I am able to invest into my retirement.

But every now and then, I still have the itch to have my own house again. Having been a homeowner yourself and now a renter, do you see yourself renting for the long term or are you just waiting for the right moment to jump back into home ownership?

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment! :) Congrats on getting your finances in order after your divorce, and taking time to consider renting vs. buying. I think it’s hard to step away from owning and back to renting, but sometimes it’s just the best choice.

I see myself renting until I feel settled. I’m not sure when that will be, so in the meantime, I’ll continue to save money and keep my options open. Ideally I’d like to buy again once we figure out where home is (neither of us are totally committed to the Vancouver area), but am in no rush. :)

23. Anonymous says:

Why have a car if you are only a 10min drive to work?

If you walk or bike you will save so much more money per month. No car insurance, gas or car payments.

Rent a car when you want to take a trip or use a carshare service, it is much less expensive.

Well, walking to work might be doable sometimes in the summer (it’s a 45 min. walk one-way) but isn’t practical since one of the big reasons I moved was to save time on my commute. Biking is out of the question on a regular basis, as I’m not interested in the hassle of bringing clothes and showering/doing my hair/make-up at work every day. Transit is more expensive than what I pay in gas every month, and takes 30 min. one way.

Even if I did walk/bike/transit to work, I’d still want to have a car. There are so many things that I love doing that require one (field hockey 3-4x/week, climbing, hiking, etc). I’ve done the math and it doesn’t make sense to use a car share if I want to use a vehicle that often. On the weekends, we try to walk or take transit when we can, but honestly I also really like having a car. If it didn’t fit comfortably into my budget (or if I was in debt), I probably wouldn’t have one. But based on my current living situation, the cost in insurance/gas (I own my car outright) is worth it to me. :)