Would you tip your Starbucks barista?

FullSizeRenderAfter working late last night, I went to Starbucks this morning for a pick-me-up latte. I ordered my regular drink, paid with my Starbucks app, and waited patiently for my drink to be made. It was then I looked down at my app and saw that a little window had popped up on my screen, asking if I wanted to leave a tip. Whaaaat? This is new.

Now, I don’t mind if Starbucks asks if I want to leave a tip. But I also wish they were clear on what the tip is for. Is this tip going to the actual person who made my latte? Is it going to the store (and then spread out among employees)? Or is it going to Starbucks in general? Because that answer will make a huge difference in determining whether I tip or not.

Related: Should tipping in restaurants be banned?

And, I actually find it a bit offensive that the only options for tipping allowed are $0.50, $1.00, or $2.00. What if I want to tip less than $0.50? And who is going to tip $2 on a $4 drink!? Come on, Starbucks.

You’re also able to add a tip amount into the app up to 2 hours after the transaction took place. I find this interesting, because is anyone really going to remember the latte they drank 2 hours ago, and think “I’d better get on my phone and send them a tip.” I think, no. But maybe I’m wrong!

Related: How much do you tip?

What do you think of the new Starbucks tipping feature?

Comments

1. I NEVER tip the barista. Wait. No. I did once and it was because the barista was really nice and went out of the way to accomodate me. But usually I don’t. Why? Because they take my order, make it and I leave. There’s usually no extra service required. It’s part of the transaction.

Now, back to the app in question. The whole thing feels shady to me? I mean… If you tip via the app, how will Starbucks KNOW to give it to that barista specifically who was working at that time shift serving you? That’s a logistical nightmare. Chances are the barista won’t get it directly or will only receive a portion at best. And since I hate the idea that I can’t choose how much to tip, I’m again unenamoured by the app.

• Erin says:

It’s not a logistical nightmare. It’s actually incredibly simple. Once a week, all the tips are counted up and distributed amongst the employees equally based on hours worked that week. That’s how tips work at almost every “counter service” type place. Even if you try to tip a specific person by handing them a dollar, for example, that employee is just going to put the dollar into the tip jar and it will get split up with the rest of the tip money.

2. Jennie says:

My daughter worked as a barista for a few months. The tips were pooled and distributed to the baristas once a week, based on the hours each barista worked that week. That’s the system in Montreal anyway.
    I never used to tip baristas either, but now I do…..

3. Tawcan says:

Never tipped the barista and don’t think I will ever do that. They’re doing their jobs, why do I need to tip them for doing their jobs? Do you tip the librarian for finding a book for you? Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store for tallying up cost of your grocery? Tipping should be a customary act for good services.. it should be something that’s expected.

• James says:

No tips? Well I may never spell your name correctly on a Starbucks cup,Tootycan. Haha.

• Anonymous says:

It’s called being a good human

• Guywthclss says:

I’m not an “automatic” tipper per se. But the making of the drink doestrogen take some TLC to make correctly esp if you have a lot of custom requests. I tip about 50% of the time and always on Holidays.

• Beverley Thompson Warrick says:

I worked in fine dining for almost 15 years and I have to tell you-1. I never added a gratuity to a check and 2. I never tip a barista. First, adding a percentage to a check isn’t a gratuity, it’s a service charge. And more offensive is a service charge for 6+ people. You didn’t move a table, allocate a room, or do anything special that was an added service. Being a waiter is about the big picture. Some people don’t show you enough gratitude, but some people over tip you when you didn’t deserve it. When I booked parties I explained my philosophy and let customers know that tipping was still their choice- and that alone started the process out with mutual respect. When I managed staff that wanted to add gratuity I offered to pay them 15% across the board because if you have any skills you will find you average more.
      And I don’t tip baristas because as someone commented earlier, they only do their job. They mop the floors and wipe the occasional table but they don’t serve anything, clear anything or step out from behind the counter unless they have to. And that’s fine, but what service are they offering besides just doing their job.
      My grandfather grew up during the depression with 12 siblings and a father who died young. He always picked up a check and always left me a $20 under his plate. He never mentioned it but my father told me later that he considered tipping some random act of socialism, and felt it was an employers responsibility to pay employees a fair wage. I made too much tip money to defend that point of view, but in the case of Starbucks, I see his point. If the average employee makes $8.80 an hour gets insurance benefits and tuition assistance, they are already being compensated in a way that service industry people are not. Frankly, I would feel better about the company if they removed the tip containers.
      In a side note, my Starbucks in small town Vueginua is known to give regular tipping customers having their coffee in-special cup service in Starbucks mugs. The gentleman sharing this particular perk he enjoys with my husband-steals the cups.
      No wonder a Frappachino is $5!

• Emily says:

You can ask for a “for-here” mug in any Starbucks, it doesn’t cost anything it just isn’t offered with every transaction.

Ya dick

• A.G. says:

Wow. Have you tried removing that stick from your ass?

It’s called a for here cup and they’re available upon request. If your husband hangs around a lowlife who takes advantage of this service and steals the cups, that’s not Starbucks’s fault.

• Anonymous says:

As a customer before working for Starbucks I would agree BUT as a barista at Starbucks I’ve seen every employee go above and beyond to satisfy our customers so that WE can see those customers become regulars that we have created a friendship with. We never “expect” tips from our customs and we don’t look down on or talk crap on the ones that don’t tip us. But by our customers tipping us it lets us know that we are doing our job efficiently. We go that extra mile to be sure that your drink taste the same each and every time that it has been made and if it doesn’t we are more that happy to remake it so that you can enjoy your high priced drink.

Remind you our “job” isn’t JUST to make your drink, we also are cleaning the bathrooms that not only the customers use but also open to the public, we are washing dishes, taking out trash (all day), refilling the condiment bar that is all FREE to use ect…
      So tell me that we are not providing any additional services?

Pease do not say that it would be “ridiculous” to tip a barista.

• james says:

just curious….would you tip the McDonald’s cashier? They do essentially the same job. I am not against tipping and people are free to be as generous as they want but adding an option to the app makes it seem obligated. It is not a tipping position like waitstaff/bartender where the majority of the income comes from the tips themselves. Tipping culture has become a little overwhelming.

• Sarah says:

James, I agree with you–it would be like giving a tip at McDonald’s. Waiting tables is super hard work, there’s a ton more involved and way more personal interaction with the customers. At Starbucks, often, there’s very little personal interaction in making a drink order, and often, I find they say as little to you as possible as they’re usually super busy, or sometimes, just flat out unfriendly.

I find giving to be a joyful thing, and I tip well to good waiters, but it would feel strange to leave a tip in this instance. It reminds me of giving every player a trophy whether they won or not. At some point, it gets a little ridiculous. And, Starbucks drinks are expensive enough as they are!

• ellen says:

question.
            would you tip your barista if he or she was at an independent coffeehouse? what if she or he was the ONLY one behind the counter. what then??? just curious.

• Erin says:

Yes, I would tip at Mcdonalds if it was allowed! Unfortunately, the employees are not allowed to accept any tips because Mcdonalds is a sh*tty employer. You don’t HAVE to tip your Barista, and they don’t expect you to, but if you’re going to the trouble to defend your reasons for not tipping and even arguing against tipping them, you’re just a dick. Fifty cents or a dollar isn’t a lot to show your appreciation for a hand crafted drink, and those tips really help hard working people pay their bills.

• Nicholas says:

Wow, James. Incredibly ignorant. You must understand that a cashier at McDonalds is nowhere near comparable to a barista. A barista takes their time to create your handcrafted beverage to order, whereas a McDonald’s employee is just taking those wrapped up burgers that someone just reheated for yoy and shoving in a bag. A Starbucks barista not only plays the role of cashier, but also the one who makes your drink, brews your coffee, gets your lunch, cleans all the dishes, and cleans the restrooms all for you! If you don’t think giving that extra dollar or two is worth it then just stop going to Starbucks and get your latte somewhere else.

• Anonymous says:

You dont think McDonalds employees do all that and more? Worked there for 5 years… We clean the bathrooms, wipe the tables, take out garbage, take your order, fry your fries, toast your bun, place condiments on the bun, place meat on the bun, wrap/box the bun, pour your drink, bag your food. We grill your meat, clean those grills after every batch, sweep and mop the floors. Take your ignorance somewhere else. I guarantee you a Mcdonalds employee on a day-to-day basis is tasked with more than a sbux employee, yet they dont get tipped either. Your perception of mcdonalds workers is flat out wrong and part of the problem.

• Anonymous says:

Also “wrapped up burgers” that someone reheated is completely wrong. Small batches of meat are grilled and put in a holding tray for a max of 15minutes for the small patties.

So before you get all high and mighty about your “sbux barista hand crafting for you the absolute most beautiful artwork of a latte for $5” you may want to stop and think about other people.

• Aaron says:

McDonald’s workers are much worse at their jobs. Especially the McDonald’s on Victoria and kingsway. 99% of the time they fuck up orders, and try to charge you extra for their mistakes. I say like hell,you made the mistake, you fix it. Don’t charge me more for your​mistake.

• Former Barista says:

Tipping is usually involved in food service. If it was like those other jobs listed instead giving you a fresh, handcrafted drink they could take your order ring you up and grab your premise drink out of a cooler or heater. You don’t have to leave a tip, but you could be a little more appreciative for the experience that starbucks is giving you. It’s like when you go to someone’s house and they make you a delicious dinner, instead of orderi out, take out tastes good and would be just as fine but preparing the meal for you is much more special. like I said you don’t have to tip but try to look at it for what it is, and if you don’t like it you don’t have to go there.

4. Sylvia says:

Their job is to make my drink, so I would tip them. And don’t most people who work in the food and beverage industry rely on tips to supplement their crappy pay?

As for the App, I think the tips would be pooled. Which is unfair sometimes because some people suck at providing good service.

5. Sunny says:

I recently started working as a barista and I was pleasantly surprised that people actually tip quite a lot. Some people put in loose change that they want to get rid of, others simply tip for the service or tip by habit. I find that it’s usually the regulars that stay in the cafe for hours that tip the most frequently.

The cafe I work at splits tips evenly amongst the workers every time someone clocks in or out, so I’m interested in how the Starbucks app would distribute the tip. I feel like it’s a good idea for those that want to tip, but executed poorly because there should be an option for custom tip amount.

6. I always leave a little tip, maybe 25 cents per drink, and more if I order food. I figure all the drinks are custom-made to order, and it takes training and skill (as you know if you’ve ever had a bad coffee drink!)

7. Brittany says:

I’ve worked at Starbucks for 6 years (only recently quit).
    Tips are compiled weekly and distributed amongst the baristas based on the amount of hours they worked.
    Example: $400 in tips total divided by 400 total hours worked that week means $1 per hour that barista worked. So if a barista worked 40 hours, they will get $40 in tips.

Tips given via the app are shown in our system and each week on “tip day” it is deducted from the register.

As a barista, tips were majorly appreciated, because just as a waitress, many of us are going above and beyond to make sure you get exactly what you want, providing a personal connection, etc and getting mediocre pay for it.
    If the barista remembers your name, your drink, or you’re coming back to the counter often for refills, etc I think it’s a nice thing to tip, even if it’s just chunk change.

If you don’t feel like you got anything out of it besides a drink, then by all means dont tip. It will usually encourage the barista to put forth a better personal effort in the future to earn that tip.
    Just my two cents! Hope I provided some insight. :]

Interesting! Glad to know that with the app, the tips are actually going to the employees of the store, and not into the pockets of Starbucks execs! :) Hopefully they incorporate the option to add our own tip amount to the app in the future.

• John says:

It would be nice if you could tip specific person on mobile pay. At the same store, there is always someone who goes the extra mile and someone who hates you for disturbing their peace and quiet.

8. I would say, no. What next? Tipping the box boy at No Frills? If anyone deserves tips it’s retail workers at minimum wage jobs. Those are the people who need the money.

• Joanne says:

Please realize that a barista at Starbucks is a minimum wage retail job.

• Kimberly Wall says:

Please consider tipping. Baristas are minimum wage retail workers who really need the money. Baristas could possibly afford to pay a financial adviser such as yourself if they made a few extra bucks. I’m not advocating raising their wage astronomically, just encouraging customers to pay a few extra cents for the custom drink the barista made especially for you.

9. So I’ve thought a bit about the extended time limit since we chatted about it on Twitter, and this is the only feasible situation I think someone might actually use the retroactive tipping function… Perhaps, someone might wait to taste their coffee/food/etc. and then decide if they want to tip based on how well it was made… It’s a stretch, but it’s really the only thing I can think of…

Maybe the app sends you a push alert when you only have 10 minutes left to tip or something? How awful would that be?

10. I used to work as a barista (not at Starbucks) and we were always allowed to keep the tips we made during our hours.

The fact that Starbucks allocates tips like that is a little frustrating. Why should I work hard and put a smile on my face when I feel like crap if I’m not going to reap what I sow? If I had to pool my tips with the girls who didn’t pull their weight I would be miffed to say the least.

• Anonymous says:

You understand us Starbucks employees well then

• Sarah says:

Putting a smile on your face hopefully brings joy to others, which should in return, bring “you” joy. Speading joy and being kind to others brings a joy that money can never compare to, so don’t do it for money, do it for people and yourself. Having love for others makes you a truly rich person.

• Sarah says:

I do agree about keeping “your” tips though!! Otherwise, it’s like socialism! You definitely deserve to reap what you sow.

11. I have never tipped a barista…There’s tipping options in our cafeteria at work too…everything is pre-packaged, and for most of it you pick it yourself and bring it to the till…seriously? Tipping is getting way out of hand.

• Iagree says:

couldn’t agree more. I don’t like how people associate generosity with tipping, and you are deemed cheap if you refuse to tip the “mandatory” 15%. Tipping should be at a buyer’s discretion, not a societal pressure.

12. Adam Salcedo says:

I normally give tips in restaurants but not in Starbucks.

13. the tip doctor says:

Round up when you order a drink at a coffee shop. But be reasonable… if your change is $0.05 then you’re being cheap. It should be at least $0.50. Is this your regular coffee shop? Throw the barista a bit more now and again. Is your drink exceptionally delicious? Show your thanks in the form of a tip. Did you get some beautiful coffee art you instagramed this morning and got 100 likes? Even more. Cough it up. In April 2014, website Wait But Why surveyed New York City service workers about tipping. They reported that 60% tipped with average tips being loose change and high tippers were $1 or more.

14. Vivien says:

is personal finance conference still happening?

15. Dan says:

I don’t think it should be necessary to tip. A tip should be for good service and I usually associate tips with a sit-down restaurant, not a fast food/quick service place. I even came across a DQ that had a tip option when paying

16. Nancy says:

I work as a barista and see that people tip a lot, especially if they come everyday or you are helping them to choose drink/food. Personally I tip very rarely as I am not that rich even to go eat out, but when I go and receive good service Im trying to do that.
    A part of food and beverage industry is tips as people who works on these jobs receiving a min wage and for being nice and helpful they ve got tipped. Respect to a lady who commented before that you tip baristas as they make a drink for you, which require skills and knowledge.So in my opinion, Starbucks makes this moment of connection, and if you like your personalized drink, you might tip. By the way, electronic tips comes to Starbucks employees, not to the company itself. Every Monday we receive a report and that split between us. For those who want to tip less than 50 cents we have tip box near the til, electronic tip made for people who dont have change in a moment of purchase.

17. Laurie says:

I like the tip app very much. I find that at all the Starbucks I’ve been to in MA and traveling thru other states, the baristas are always hard working, more than pleasant and make me a good cup of tea. If it’s not hot enough I return and ask them to make it hotter. They always help out. I actually was very pleased when this app came out. I see that the tips are pooled (which is the reason I found this forum). It’s fair and they do deserve it. These people are running around making sure there’s whipped cream on this, soy milk in that. Come on…they definitely deserve a tip.
    And that’s my 20%!!!

18. Janine Morton says:

A tip jar at a cash register (evident at Starbucks and other cafes) to me is tacky. Shouldn’t these corporations/ employers be paying their workers? A tip jar to me reminds me of panhandlers on the streets. Come on have more dignity! Starbucks pay your workers more.. As Richard Branson says, don’t out your client first but your employees.
    I don’t tip H&M or sales clerks that suggest clothes for me to try on and take my clothing to fold after I have tried them on, I don’t tip my dental hygienist, or a nurse hat was at my grandfathers bedside caring and tending to him during a 12 hour shift.
    We are all working hard, this tipping culture is tacky and is the base of dependency, expectancy and let downs.

• Sarah says:

I agree with you Janine. Leaving a tip puts customers in an awkward position. Companies should give adequate pay so customers don’t feel the awkwardness of, “Should I leave a tip??” :O When does the tipping stop? Must we tip everywhere we go now? I show appreciation at Starbucks by being friendly, saying thank you and by buying one of their overpriced drinks!

19. Get off! says:

Pay toll to get already over-priced food? After I had to stand in line in the cold for it? And use up 20 minutes of my sorry break? I hate being “talked up” for a tip after standing in line. I feel like a predator is grooming me. I don’t want a fake buddy. I just want the food.

20. Greg says:

It would be a little ridiculous for a Starbucks barista to be tipped. They are not providing you with any additional services beyond that of their own job. With a waiter or waitress at a restaurant they come to you to take your order, they ask you how your food is, they bring you drink refills, there’s actually some sort of services being provided beyond simply taking your order at a counter and giving it to you. By the same merit when I go to a restaurant and order take-out I do not tip. They have not provided me with any additional services that would warrant a tip.

• Anonymous says:

They didn’t spit in your food which is what you deserve, so why don’t you give them what they deserve? Some loose change or a crisp dollar bill. Asshole.

• Sarah says:

Greg, what you said sounds logical to me. I don’t tip when I order take out either, and there’s a big difference between all of the personal interaction and attention to detail given by a waiter compared to that given by a barista. Must we tip everywhere we go now? It sounds like socialism.

21. Emily says:

Hey, so I work for Starbucks and every now and then I will divide the tips up for all of us. How it works is that we take all the money we get and divide it by hours worked and then by person. We know how much we are tipped virtually and we just take that amount from the cash drawers and add it to the rest of the tips we receive. I think people should tip because we deal with some shitty people throughout the day. I have definitely cried at work before because of how I was treated. We only get paychecks every two weeks and a lot of people I’ve worked with have bills or need to support their kids or pay for groceries or gas and it’s nice to get a little bit of cash every week if you’re paycheck is already depleted. I don’t expect tips but I honestly think we deserve them. We bend over backwards for customers and get nothing in return. We’re people too, just cogs in the machine really. It’s kinda hurtful to read these comments and see people say we don’t deserve them when we work so hard and try to be so helpful to someone who doesn’t think twice about giving us something in return. If you have some complicated drink and don’t compensate us for our time it’s a little selfish of you.

• Sarah says:

Considering how much money Starbucks makes off their drinks, it’s surprising to learn that the baristas are compensated so poorly. That should be the responsibility of the company, not the customers, who are already paying way too much for a drink.

I don’t go to Starbucks too often as it wouldn’t be a responsible way to spend my money, and learning how little baristas are paid, it makes me want to support Starbucks even less. Of course, I’m assuming this doesn’t include benefits. I always enjoy going to Starbucks, and I love the drinks, but now I want to look into the integrity of the company. Perhaps the baristas receive benefits that make up for the lower pay. Until now, I had always heard good things about the company.

• Jessica says:

I felt obligated to leave a response after reading your post. You are exactly what is wrong is this country! Your post screams of “entitlement” like the customers HAVE to tip you. Let’s get one thing straight: you took the job of “barista” at Starbucks and your boss informed you of your hourly pay and your job duties. You are merely doing your JOB when you take a customer’s order, make their drink and slap it on the counter and call their name out. You are not providing an actual service like a waitress does. You are no different that a Mcdonalds cashier. Don’t cry me a river that you have “bills to pay” and need to stretch your tiny paycheck far enough to buy food and gas. If Starbucks is not paying you enough to live on then you need to get an actual education and job skills to earn your higher pay. A Starbucks job is not meant to be a “career” or support a family. So quit whining about feeling like you “deserve” a tip when you do not deserve a damn thing! You are lucky you even have a job and just remember, without every customer purchasing Starbucks overpriced $5+ drinks, you would not even have that job in the first place! So just remember next time you feel entitled to tips, that you need to be grateful to your customers for even coming into your workplace and paying $6 for that overpriced drink. If that customer has a job anything like yours, they are already working almost an hour just to pay for that overpriced drink so start showing your appreciation towards your customers!

• Klo says:

Wow, it makes me very sad to see this. I’ve been a barista for 2 years now and I LOVE my job. Tips mean more to us than you’ll ever know. That’s my gas money or insurance bill or a trip to the grocery or an oil change, etc.. you clearly don’t know the half of what we do and the things we have to put up with. A Starbucks job is not just “slapping drinks on the counter” it’s high-stress, fast-paced, strenuous work. To think that all we do is make your drink is silly, there’s so much more that goes into keeping the store afloat. My partners and myself bust our butts everyday to create a place where customers can come for quality service and beverages/food. We appreciate our customers very and always make an effort to build special relationships with them. Please be kind to your baristas(:

• A.G. says:

Jessica, you are a dick. Just thought I’d spell it out for you since you seem a little dull. After reading your post, I think it’s safe to say you’ve never been inside a Starbucks before. If you want to blow off steam on the internet, at least consider the fact that you may be making a fool of yourself before you click the submit button. :)

• Jessica says:

A.G. is the only dick here. I’ve actually been in countless Starbucks locations. Overall my experiences have been just average and only had a few major screw ups by “baristas”. Most recently, I ordered a “Venti Starbucks Doubleshot on Ice”. If you aren’t aware of what it is, go look it up on the Starbucks app. 4 shots espresso, 4 pumps classic, topped with milk and shaken. I didn’t make any complicated special requests, I ordered my drink just as it’s made and add a packet of sugar at the counter on my own. After waiting 25 minutes, yes it was actually 25 minutes that I stood at the counter waiting for my drink as 4 employees stood behind the counter. One helpless employee at the register, one was making my drink and two others just standing in the back chatting among themselves. When the girl finally handed me my drink it was literally a venti cup filled with ice to the top with about an inch of espresso!! I tell the girl that that wasn’t what I ordered and had to break down in detail how to make a drink that she should know how to make herself! The woman from the register who took my order comes over and says to me “You asked for 2 shots of espresso over ice”. I’m like, “no I didn’t! I asked for a Sbux doubleshot on ice!”. This sorry excuse for a human just has an attitude and walks away! Like I would tip for THAT experience?? I should have gotten my drink for free or at the very least a heavy discount for waiting 25 minutes for the wrong drink then having them make it correctly!! So, no I am not “making a fool of myself on the internet” and even if I was I could care less. You “baristas” out there need to learn how to do your job correctly and stop crying about getting tips!

• Chell says:

Jessica, I don’t care if someone tips me. As a barista, I am happy to serve. I have always excelled in service jobs, regardless of my health conditions that are equivalent to kidney in heart failure as a birth defect.

I went to school to become an archivist. I even apprenticed. I was a straight A student from an impoverished family. Once my health declined, my grades fell, and I was treated like garbage by my professors who claimed I was faking it regardless of of my doctor’s reassureance I was far too ill to be at school.

I was bound for a wheelchair and disability. My brother has disability, and while he lives humbly it is no living at all. He struggles, trying to make ends meet.

I am very lucky, my legs kept working. I could be approved for disability in a heart beat. But I don’t because I have been spat on by people like you.

I am a barista. And let me tell you, if you got behind that counter, you would understand.

Yes. It is our job to make your drink. But let me tell you some thing we do that we are not required to do.

1.Recogmend items based on prevrances
        2.know the secret menu
        3. Heat metal cups that people bring in to ensure that thier coffee doesn’t chill.
        4. Make Mocha sauce PROPERLY, if we make it in the automatic way you describe drinks, will be thin and not nearly as good but easier to make. I ensure Mocha is thick and we DON’T have to do that.
        5. Steam Mocha or Chai IN the steaming pitcher so your drink will actually be hot.

6.Listen to you prattle when we have a line. Yeah. I don’t think you’ve been to a Starbucks if you think it’s one and done like that.
        7.constant shot calibration. Yeah. You want garbage coffee? Lattes? I don’t have to calibrate it. If it’s busy we often CAN’T.

So yeah, I don’t care if you tip. If you do, I am very very thankful. But I won’t recent someone for not.
        And guess what, THAT is the attitude that is hold back the united states.
        Don’t wanna tip? Let us earn a LIVABLE Wage. and if we ALL went to school you would have no workers. None. No one to make your drinks or food or pump your gas. We would Excell as statistics show millennials work far harder than baby boomers and earn much much less.

22. Sarah says:

Hmm…I only go to Starbucks maybe once or twice a month, and until today, when in Starbucks, I didn’t even realize people tipped there, and I was really surprised by it, as it seemed akin to tipping a cashier. However, some good points have been made that I will definitely consider, and I will probably find myself tipping on occasion now, but, I would want it to go to a specific person, like the genuinely friendly person who made my drink!

23. D1995 says:

I am a Starbucks addicted! I go there everyday and I tip every single time. All the baristas I’ve met are extremely nice people. Everyone knows me and my drink. When they see me coming in they start preparing it. I always sit by the counter and we always talk. When I heard it was the birthday of one of the baristas, I went to the grocery store nearby and got I cake for him. So many times when They are about to close, they had given me free stuff or had shared with me what they had. When they experiment with drinks I always get a small cup. This is the kind of people that are not just baristas, but I consider them friends. I will feel so terribly sorry when I’ll move from this area. Make sure to always tip your barista, they work very hard!

24. Chuck says:

Don’t waiters and waitresses make less than minimum wage with the expectation of tips? In Massachusetts, they are even taxes on the tips they are assumed to have made — not just what was reported. I thought this was national but maybe it’s just my state? You have to tip in this case.

25. Chris says:

I always tip, but with coins. I also take away my garbage and wipe off my table when I go, which to me is a courtesy to the next customer, but apparently the staff appreciate it too. I’m not going to tip electronically. I’m a regular at my local Starbucks. They all know me by name, and they go out of their way for me. I like them as people and respect the work they do. I think they should be paid a living wage instead of having to rely on tips, but since this is not the case, then I tip 10 to 15 % each time.

26. Melissa says:

First off, a librarian makes far more than the 8.00 an hour a barista makes! Second you say there is no service and you compare it to a clerk scanning groceries or a librarian finding a book, when in fact there is a service, she or he just made a drink that you ordered. They actually made the drink, they didn’t simply pick up a book that was already there or tell you a total to pay, they provided you a service of making a custom drink however you would like it, and then went behind you and cleaned up a mess you most likely left when you added whatever additional condiments you desired. They were kind in the process and did it with a sense of urgency so you wouldn’t bitch. I’d say that deserves your 50 cent or a dollar. As to not leaving 2 or 3 dollars as a tip, actually there are people who leave good tips, there called servers, and we do it cause we get what a difficult job it is, waiting on people who are demanding, and can’t be bothered to leave a lousy additional 50 cent for a person who provided a service with a smile, even in the face of rudeness!

27. MikeD says:

It was mentioned above that a barista “custom makes” the drink for customers, so they are entitled to a tip. The drinks are on a menu. Adding some sweetener or extra pump of this or that, etc, isn’t reeeally “custom.” If I ask a Burger King employee to hold the onions and put extra pickles on a burger, do I have to tip them too? Part of the job is accommodating customers who want modifications to their order. And with Starbucks, their entire business model has to do with modifications. Try their mobile pay feature on their app and you’ll see that every drink has many specific modification buttons dedicated to them. It’s what they do. And they don’t get paid a few bucks an hour like waitstaff, who depend on their tips for survival. Since Starbucks has modifications/customizations/whatever as a core of their business model, then they should PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES A HIGHER BASE WAGE instead of making them indirectly beg for tips via app pop-ups and their older method of tip jars.

28. Anonymous says:

I feel tipping is expected and totally out of control. My hair stylist makes 17.00 bucks an hour and yet I’m expected to tip her too after paying 140 bucks for color and a cut. That is her job. I know most of you will say that is a service for me… Well let’s face it, alll of us who work are doing some type of service for someone. A line needs to be drawn and I say management at Starbucks and Chipotle both need to remove the obvious tip jar. I also wonder how many of you are claiming your tips as income like your required to do. That’s what I thought…..

29. MikeD says:

I didn’t even think about the tax/etc implications. Another reason why companies like Starbucks, instead of paying A HIGHER BASE WAGE, choose to implement and encourage begging for tips…….. That way Starbucks makes less matching contributions to social security, medicare, IRA…..

30. Bill Roberts says:

Why should you tip? Because Starbucks pays it’s baristas less than a living wage. It’s allowed to do this because “tips” are expected to supplement the wage. IF you don’t tip, you’re penalizinf the server for working their. And don’t go down the road of “they don’t have to work there”. That’s BS and everyone with any sense knows it.

31. erika says:

tip your barista if you can afford it! we really appreciate it, and the tips go directly into our pockets, as cash! NOT to the company, as i work for starbucks. the system is that all of the money that goes in the jar is put in bags in the safe and counted up at the end of each week, and then the number of dollars is divided by number of hours worked, so say you worked $30 that week and we ended up with a dollar per hour, you’d get $30, which is about how much our tips average. as usually part-time employees, most of us make around $8.. that’s barely above minimum wage. and to people who really need this job to support themselves in the same city while you are going to college or whatever, it really does help when you tip. plus, every time i see a customer who puts something in the tip jar, i am certainly more inclined to care about your drink, because i see that you care about me and you’re not just a soulless zombie buying your corporate global coffee and getting the hell out while being a dick. honestly people treat service employees as if they don’t exist or aren’t real people sometimes.

32. barista says:

AS A STARBUCKS BARISTA MYSELF, give them a break dude, “doubleshot on ice” and “double shot on ice” they’re both called almost the same thing, so its a really easy mix-up, it’s not because they don’t know how to make the drink or wanted to personally ruin your day. was it busy? sometimes it takes that long to get down a line of drinks if theres a lot of people there!

33. No Tip4U says:

Tipping for the Sbucks experience? I’m already paying a premium for my drink in order to have the Sbucks experience. If Sbucks is more generous to their employees with other benefits in addition to a regular service wage (not like wait staff), then that’s part of the deal for those that work there. I also find it difficult to tip a bar tender who just opens a tap and pours you a beer (you’re already paying a premium for the drink) yet others do the same with water and never get tipped.The onus needs to be on the employers to compensate their employees better rather than the expectation of tipping be put on the customer. We all have a price point and if the products are already pricey, its harder to tip. If the products are priced well…then I’m happy to tip…but that’s not my fault, its the employer who charges me too much for the product.

34. Mike says:

I have to agree with several of the opinions above: they are paid for doing their job, if their job does not pay them enough that implies a conversation between the employee and their employer or get a new job.

It is not my job to pay their salary, I am not their employer, they are not my employee and frankly it let’s the employer off the hook when he has already significantly raised his prices to cover higher labor costs.

A tip is for service above their job. My favorite example of this was a high end pasticier came to our town, a small pastry the size of a half dollar was $5.50 (and this was several years ago), when I went to pay the same little box popped up. The gentlemen who helped me thought (and vocally protested) that he deserved a $2.00 tip for moving the pastry 6 inches from the shelf to a take out box. Ridiculous! Basically refusing to do his job unless he was given a 45% tip on an already ridiculous priced trifle. Settled the problem,I never went back.

My first job at age 15 was Mc Donald’s, but I never expected it to support me or a family, it was simply a first step towards a better job and that is all it should ever be.

35. Anonymous says:

Jessica is absolutely right, AG! AG, You’re the dick-headed idiot for calling people names in lieu of making an attempt to respond to a valid point. However, again, the question is, “how’s a dick-headed idiot like you going to have anything meaningful in a two-celled head?”!

36. FRANCES l says:

another reason NOT to tip.. splitting tips … NEVER AGAIN!

37. John says:

A multi-billion dollar company that overcharges for a very cheap product (coffee) wants us to pay their employees. And people still tip. Sad.

38. Anonymous says:

If I see someone begging I don’t give them money as they’ll probably go and spend it on drugs. I ask them if they would like me to get them some food instead. Therefore in *bucks, instead of giving a tip, offer to buy them a coffee?

39. Jeffco says:

Depending on what I order, especially if customized I leave a tip. However, recently at 2 different stores in my area, I handed each young man a $1 tip, and while they said thank you, they looked at me like I was a jerk! Tips should not be expected in that industry and when received, they should be appreciated regardless of the amount! I spent $4 on a small coffee and to feel they expected a 100% tip! BS