June 2014 Goals: Recap

Even though my net worth increased this month, I didn’t do very well on my monthly goals. It was a hard month for me. Super stressed out. Work was busy, my personal life was a bit chaotic, and I had a pretty active schedule of things to get done.

We also traveled to Oregon at the end of the month, but didn’t actually plan the trip until about mid-month. That’s why you don’t see anything budgeted for Travel below, and I also didn’t record any of the travel expenses either. Since the trip ended on July 1st, I’m just going to throw it all into July’s budget just to make it easier. :)

06-June-Recap

Over Budget

• Cell Phone – My plan took longer than expected to switch over to the new, cheaper one.
  • Internet – Same with the internet. I still payed the higher price for this month before I get dropped down to the cheaper plan.
  • Clothing – I bought a bathing suit. It was a little more than I had wanted to pay, but I’m pretty happy with it.
  • Car & Transportation – Can we discuss for a moment how expensive gas is in Vancouver? :( Although I do commute from BF’s house on a regular basis (he only lives 10 min. from my work), I did drive to-and-from Surrey at least three times this month.
  • Miscellaneous – I had to buy a new charger for my MacBook Pro.

Net Worth Change: + $1,728 (1.80%)

Big gains this month with my RRSPs as well as my stocks. I also bought my first ETF months month as well. As long as my net worth keeps going up, I’ll be happy. :)

June 2014 Goals:

• Work out 6x/week. CHECK! This was a mix of running, hiking, tennis, long walks, and going to the gym. I’m also really proud that I was able to get to a 12+km run this month. I’m still a long ways from being ready for my half marathon, but I’m feeling really good and strong.
  • Cut back on sugar. PASS. I didn’t do too horribly with this on a daily basis, but I definitely didn’t say no to celebration cake or chocolate while on vacation. :)
  • Earn $1,200 in freelance income. FAIL. I only brought in $497.07 – but I still have about $900 waiting to be paid out.
  • Automate my property tax. FAIL. I didn’t even think about this.
  • Get rid of my old TV. FAIL. This month went by so fast, and then half way through the month, work got really busy and I didn’t have much free time to do anything. Plus, I was barely home. So, nope. Didn’t get this done.
  • Fix my sink. FAIL. BF didn’t have time to look at it this month. Hopefully we’ll be able to take a look in the next few weeks. If not, I’ll just hire someone to fix it.

Comments

1. Joel says:

Hey, I had a great time reading your website. Do you have an email address that I can contact you on? Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Joel
    JHouston791 gmail.com

2. s says:

Krystal, the trip happened in JUNE. Don’t play around with budgets to make it look like you didn’t go travelling in JUNE when you did. You are constantly overspending and making excuses for your shopping/travelling/eating addiction and your regular readers are tired of it. The “old” Krystal never would have acted so irrationally.

I’m not playing around with budgets, I’m trying to hold myself accountable for my spending. It doesn’t matter whether I report the numbers in June or July (since the trip happened during both months), but I do think it’s important to get an accurate amount of what I spent. And that includes figuring out what both BF and I spent on our credit cards. I have receipts for most purchases, but I’m waiting for the transactions to post online so that I can figure out how much the total is AFTER exchange rate.

3. Wow, that comment from “s” is unneccessarily harsh. I’ve allocated large expenses into a different month before when I needed to share a monthly update, but didn’t have all the details together yet. Accountability is key. It doesn’t matter which month expenses are allocated to, as long as they are counted.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I was doing. :) BF and I hadn’t figured out what our joint expenses were for the trip, so instead of trying to estimate the numbers, I figured I’d put them into July so that I could have an accurate amount to report. Especially with the exchange rate!

• Anonymous says:

I’m a long time reader who is getting more and more frusterated with Krystal’s attitude. She used to be so nice – friendly, a good writer, interesting, and accountable. But over the past couple years she’s gotten so lazy and rude. She overspends on everything and is constantly making excuses. She lies about her spending, she lies about how much things cost, she lies, lies, lies. I don’t even understand why she keeps writing this blog.

I’m sorry you feel that way. Can you give me specific examples of when I’ve lied about my spending, or how much things cost? I try to be as truthful with my spending as I can, so maybe there are things I can clear up for you if you’ve got questions.

• g says:

Pretty much all of your spending recaps “Oh tee hee I only spent $16 on groceries this week! Aren’t I just so sweet and tiny?”

Well, I don’t know what to say about that. I give myself a normal amount of money to spend on groceries every month (ranging from $175-200), and I usually spend around that much. Some weeks I spend much less than normal because I went out to eat a lot, or I was out of town, or BF bought groceries and I spent most of my time at his house. But I do think the costs all even out. For example, if BF buys more groceries than normal, it’s likely that week I treated us to dinner. Or vice versa. If I’m out of town for a while, my food/groceries expenses falls under Travel. In the end, the amount I’m spending every month remains the same – whether it’s on groceries or restaurants/entertainment.

• g says:

There’s no way you can be living in New West and spending only 175-200 on groceries per month. I would say it’s probably more like 500-700 a month. It’s been clear for a long time that someone is supplementing your income – your parents, who chipped in for your down payment on your townhouse probably – or you are lying about how much you spend. So which is it?

I actually do spend that much on groceries every month. One month I was even able to spend less than $100 and still eat healthy, fresh foods. It definitely helps that I’m vegetarian and don’t need to spend money on meats and fish. I also shop at a small independent grocery store where I can get a huge bag of produce for $15. My meals are simple, and never really elaborate unless I’m entertaining people. Usually I will pack a salad for lunch or hummus and pita/cucumber. For dinners, it’ll either be batch cooking using my crock pot, or a one-pot recipe.

It definitely is possible to live in New West and spend the amount that I do – with nobody supplementing my income. I am financially independent, and have been since I moved to Vancouver about 8 years ago.

• g says:

Unless you are living off Mr Noodles and iceberg lettuce, you are lying.

• Chris says:

I can’t believe the amount of effort put into replying to an obvious troll.

Yes this person is a troll, but I actually do get asked about my grocery budget a lot and how I’m spending my money. This comment just kind of gave me the push to bump the groceries blog post a little earlier. :)

• Leigh says:

I’m confused here, g. I’ve lived on my own since graduating from college and never spent more than $250/month on groceries, usually around $150-200. I’m not vegetarian like Krystal, but I would usually batch cook and then eat that meal for the rest of the week and the meals are also fairly simple. I even shop at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. I definitely have weeks where I spend $16 on groceries and then other weeks where I spend $100. Krystal’s spending seems pretty reasonable to me.

4. What phone/internet are you switching to and from? I’m looking into other companies but it’s a bit rough with just Bell and Rogers being the main providers in Ontario. Sigh. =/

I just switched within the companies I was with (Shaw for internet, and Rogers for cellular). It’s difficult here too, with not many providers to choose from. :(