Well this is the first time in a long time that I’ve actually hit all of my goals for the month. I feel good about this past month. I think I settled into a routine quite quickly after returning from Morocco, and am looking forward to tackling some major goals I have for myself coming up.
- Food – This was as a result of an excess of baking, stocking up on staples like quinoa, and experimenting with different recipes (more expensive ingredients). The good news is my freezer and pantry are full of food, so all I will likely need is to buy produce for the rest of the year.
- Entertainment – Yeah… I went out to eat a lot this month, and it shows. I think it’s the cost associated with the beginning of any relationship; you want to go out and do things. Like weekend brunch, sushi dinners, etc.
- Car & Transportation – I spent the same as I usually do for gas, but it was the parking that got me this month. I parked at least 3 or 4 times in Stanley Park (that’s $5+ each time), as well as a couple of other places around town. I’m going to look for a cheaper alternative for parking, because public transportation at this point isn’t an option.
Net Worth Change: + $2,106 (+ 2.35%)
After my post earlier this month about not saving enough for retirement, I made a conscious effort to increase my RRSP contributions and put more into my TFSA every pay cheque. Right now I’m sitting at a retirement savings rate of 16-17% of my net monthly income (from my full-time job only), with my end goal of saving around 20%.
This was also a three pay cheque month, so I had an additional mortgage payment to make, which helped with the net worth increase.
- Make a homemade version of Holy Crap Cereal – CHECK! You can check out my Holy Crap Cereal recipe to see how you can save almost 45% just by making it at home yourself.
- Research and track new stocks – CHECK! I’ve started looking at 5 new stocks, and will track/research them over the next few months.
- Run in my second half marathon – CHECK! Here is my recap of the Vancouver Historic Half Marathon.
- Start thinking about what goals I want to set for 2014 – CHECK! I took a few hours one night and really thought about what I wanted to accomplish for next year. I’m almost done writing them all out, and I’m excited to share them with you next month.
- No Starbucks fancy drinks – CHECK! Yep, I did it. Not only did I cut out all fancy Starbucks drinks, but I only went to Starbucks once this month. That surprised me a lot, because I didn’t think I could resist the lure of their holiday drinks. My wallet and my waist line are both thanking me.