These mini-condos are built with flexible living space

I love small space living so much. If you’ve been around for a while, you’ve noticed I’ve profiled a bunch of different places around the Vancouver area (like Burns Block in downtown Vancouver and Balance in Surrey). Well, I just came across a new development, also in Surrey, called BosaSPACE. (BTW, I’m not getting paid to write about these homes. I just find them really, really fascinating.)

BosaSPACE is a bit different than the other micro lofts or small space apartments because these units are built to transform space, and become functional for the type of lifestyle people in Vancouver are looking for.

Related: Welcome to our 215 sq. ft. apartment

For most people, small space living might be affordable, but it isn’t practical. How will you host dinner parties, keep clutter out of the way, and just have enough space to live in on a daily basis? There’s nothing worse than inviting people over, only to have them sit on your bed to eat dinner. :) I really like BosaSPACE because it’s different and unique.

The bedroom can be separate from the rest of the living area by pulling out a wall that bisects the unit lengthwise.

In the kitchen, a long dining room table can be pulled out from the island, and 8 chairs can be brought out from a built-in storage space.

14_0

The living room is also extremely transformable. Once the bedroom wall is tucked in and the bed folded up, the space converts into a sofa.

16_0

AND he built-in flat screen TV panel can slide across the wall, revealing additional seating, a daybed, or a home office space to fold out of the wall. Amazing.

Yeah, these furniture pieces are not unique. You can get them custom-designed or purchased from a specialty store. But these are standard pieces that come with the condo, and come much cheaper than if you had to buy them all separately. Anyway, here’s a short video I found on a recent CBC article about the development:

The tower will located in the Central City neighbourhood of Surrey. It’s expected to be ready in 3 years, and units will range from 500 to 750 sq. ft. One-bedroom suites start at $199,900, while two-bedroom suites will start at $300,000.

What do you think of this apartment? Could you live in one?

Comments

1. I love it – I am all for the function of these kinds of places. Oddly, I love the idea of having a murphy’s bed in my spare bedroom/office. My parents have a lovely kitchen/family room combo which doesn’t leave a lot of space for a table so they have one of those island-tables that pull out (goes from four people to 7 people).

2. I like the dining room table idea, but can’t imagine spending time moving around furniture to make my house work for me. I want to see the bedrooms!

3. FI Pilgrim says:

I can’t help but laugh at the thought of cramming my family of 4’s “stuff” into one of those. Personally I love the minimalist feel, but practically I don’t think that could happen. :-)

4. I love the dining space idea – so smart. I also love the dual functionality of the bedroom/tv room but I think putting things away and dragging them back out every day would get a little tiresome. It would be worth it for the better price though!

I definitely agree, it would be annoying to have to set that space up every day. But then I got to thinking – how often do I really have more than one or two people over? Maybe once a month? Once I started thinking about it that way, it didn’t seem so bad. For the rest of the time, you could have the bed out, and the wall up so that it felt more like a one-bedroom place. I love how innovative these small spaces are becoming. :)

5. Tara Zee says:

I really like these living situations too. Personally, I’d prefer to have a smaller space that was still functional for parties if it was in a great location and was in my budget!

While not related, I’ve always been fascinated with SRO’s, something that have died in popularity. Shared kitchen and bathroom spaces aren’t ideal, but for people in need of a low-rent situation, I kind of wish they’d bring them back, especially in expensive urban settings.

6. pete evans says:

I’d agree that it’s an interesting idea, but I can’t help but notice they have seriously skewed with the optical proportions in the dimensions of those people in the artists impressions. They look disprortionately tiny compared to the large things they’re sitting on.

Based on the shot with the two people sitting on it, that bed-couch looks like it’s about 8 feet long (Which I’m sure it’s not) and if that guy standing at the island in the third pic is like 6 feet tall, then this apartment must be about 50+ feet long. Which, again, there’s no way is true.

It’s smart to market yourself to people who’d find small living appealing, but it seems disingenuous to play with the optics like that. That’s just selling a small condo by making it look like a large one.

7. Lisa E. says:

I think if I were to live in a condo like this, I’d prefer to do it right NOW when I have no kids. I think they’re perfect for single persons!

Agreed. It’s the ideal set-up for a single person, or a couple who are okay with living in a small space. I know that in my current home (approx. 700 sq. ft.), because it’s laid out well, I don’t need all of the space that I do. Living in something smaller would be pretty easy, especially a condo like this – where there’s so much flexibility in how the room can be set up.

8. These are pretty cool. I definitely like it if it was for single people who want it ALL but cannot afford dedicated rooms for that function. This is like a great GREAT room solution.