- Food – Because I only pay 1/3 of the rent, I’m trying to contribute more by paying for more groceries and household expenses that we would otherwise split.
- Household – Lightbulbs, utensils, etc.
- Clothing – I picked a few items for summer, but I still need to buy a few tank tops.
- Travel – I went totally over budget on this, because we keep planning for more travel. :) The $939.51 I spent this month includes a 3-day trip to Geneva/Chamonix, a 2-day trip to Vienna, a roundtrip train ticket to Berlin (trip in May), and 2 flights to Rome (trip in July) as my birthday present to Nic.
- Personal Care – flat iron, make-up, and some other small purchases.
- Miscellaneous – I pretty much blew this entire category on buying a bicycle at the flea market. But it turned out to be a really smart purchase because we’ve gone bike riding in the evenings and weekends, and it also doesn’t take me 30-45 min. to walk everywhere anymore.
Net Worth Change: + $2,575 (3.61%)
This might *seem* like a lot of money, but keep in mind that since I’m a freelancer, I have to save for my own taxes. Plus, in April my net worth will definitely go down, because I still have to pay my 2011 taxes of around $3,500.
- Meet new people. FAIL. We had good intentions and had a long conversation about trying to meet new people, but then… well, we just got busy and forgot about it. :| I’ve been in contact with a few people I’ve met off of a local message board, plus I have a friend and family coming to visit in April. So things are looking a bit better.
- Write most of April’s blog posts & articles. PASS. I generated ideas and bullet points for most blog posts, which I think is pretty good. I’ll still have to bring my laptop with me while traveling, but I won’t have to work full-time at least.
- Get my taxes organized for this year. CHECK! Well, my taxes are all organized, aside from a few missing pieces of paper that I’ll need before I file. Still, I know approximately how much I owe, which is what I wanted to figure out.
- Have 10 No Spend Days. CHECK! I just squeaked in by having 10 No Spend Days. This was really hard, but I really do think it helped me understand where I bleed money, and what I need to do to get organized so that I can keep my money in my wallet. :)
Ongoing 2012 Goals:
- Post a new photo every day on my Tumblr account, My Life In Pixels. CHECK!
- Only post my own photos on GMBMFB. CHECK!
- Write one guest post for another blog or website. FAIL. I thought I’d have time to do this, but I’m so busy these days. Now that I’m 2 months into being a full-time freelancer, I keep wondering how I was able to work a full-time job AND do my freelance work for so long? I imagine I’ll go back to a 60+ hour/week once I get back to Vancouver, but trying to keep my work hours here in Europe to 40-50 hours/week is really hard. There’s always so much to do. And I know I should start saying no to more opportunities, but some of them are just too good to pass up.