Random Friday Thoughts
None of these points is worth an entire blog post, so I’ll just squish them all together in an end-of-the-week post. I hope you all have a fabulous weekend! :)
- We saved a ton of money on our train tickets to Geneva by using a discount website, so we thought we’d be able to do the same thing for our trip to Vienna next weekend. Nope. The prices listed on the website are all at regular price. So it will end up costing us $176 (€133) each for our roundtrip train tickets. Oh well. I’m sure it will be worth it. :)
- Unfortunately, I didn’t bring any summer clothing with me – aside from a couple of dresses and t-shirts. I was too concerned with packing as many sweaters and warm clothes to get me through the winter. Now that the nice weather is here to stay, and with upcoming beach trips to Portugal and Spain, we’ll be going shopping this weekend. I figure 1 pair of shorts, 2 skirts, and 2-3 tank tops will be enough to get me through the summer.
- Make-up here is so expensive. My cheap $6 bottle of mascara now costs the equivalent of almost $18! No thank you. I have a friend from home coming to travel with me in April, and she is kindly bringing some supplies for me.
- Our plan was to get a punch pass to a recreation centre somewhere in the city so that we could use the gym once a week or so (just to break up our normal routine). But yesterday we found out that recreation centre gyms don’t really exist here. And the real gyms won’t let you sign up for a contract for less than 12-24 months. :| Luckily (?) there is a short-term option that we would be able to take advantage of. Unfortunately, it’s too expensive. With all the admin fees, it will end up costing us each $73 (€55)/month for 4 months.
- We’ve been looking into German language lessons, but they’re also really expensive. The prices range from $265-330 (€200-250) for 10 lessons. Private tutors are even more expensive. We both want to take lessons, but only if we can find a way to afford it.
- Look for my very first magazine article in the May issue of FLARE Fashion Magazine. :D
- With the first quarter of 2012 coming to an end next week, I am surprisingly on track to hit my $70,000 income goal.
Author: Krystal Yee
I’m a writer, personal finance blogger, and marketing professional based in Vancouver. I’m a former Toronto Star (Moneyville) columnist, author of The Beginner’s Guide to Saving and Investing, and co-founder of the Canadian Personal Finance Conference. When I’m not working, you can usually find me running, playing field hockey, or plotting my next adventure.