My new business cards (and a serious fail at vlogging)

Well, I was super stoked about receiving my new business cards in the mail yesterday that I really want to try and attempt another vlog. But about 5 seconds into recording, it turned into a tragic mess and then it just got worse from that point on. I was originally not going to post it, but just like in real life, you can’t take back a first impression. Or in my case, a second impression. So, in an effort to stay true to my pathetic attempt at getting better on camera, here is my ridiculously embarrassing, horrifyingly awkward video (please don’t stop reading my blog) …

And to make up for it, here are a few pictures of my cards:

To show you the comparison between the thick 24 pt. cardstock that I used for these business cards, compared to the 10 or 12 pt. cardstock that is used for my full-time job business cards, I’ve stacked up 8 of each beside each other. The difference is quite remarkable!

If you like these business cards, you can hire me to design some for you (just kidding, kind of). But I am also giving away 2 prizes of 1000 business cards each from Jukeboxprint.com. The contest won’t run until the beginning of October, but this is just a heads up for anyone who is thinking about ordering cards in the near future! :)

Comments

1. Erica says:

Apparently if you record in imovie this issue should be fixed. When you open iMovie, push command+I and it will open up the recording iSight view. That should allow you to film so we the viewer see things not flipped.

2. Byrocat says:

Keep plugging away! How many times did you fall off of your first bicycle before you mastered it?

I second what Erica suggested, not that I’m an expert on doing this, but experimenting leads to discovery which leads to knowledge. And that, grasshopper, is true strength…

There should also be a FAQ or technical forum on the tool or the website that has the answer to your problem.

3. Preet says:

I thought your vlog was awesome. One take is the way to go – more of your personality comes out that way I imagine – good job!

B/W is retro cool.

4. SP says:

LOL, thanks for sharing anyway, it is more fun that way.

You should check out the http://www.rachelwilkerson.com/ for some vlog inspiration – they are so funny and awesome, but she also does some cute editing and stuff.

BTW, if you started up some sort of vlog challenge, I bet you could get at least a handful of pf bloggers to make a vlog, and wouldn’t that be fun? This is not a well formed idea, but a prize would be good. That’s about as much of the idea as I’ve got so far, but take it if you want. Maybe not though, since we are generally an anonymous bunch.

Love the cards!

I think it would be pretty hard to get any other PFers to start vlogging… but I’d really like to get people to try! I think it would be really fun. Maybe we could do guest vlogging! Or, record yourself giving your best piece of personal finance advice, and the winner gets a prize. Hmm… the possibilities are endless! :)

5. Andrew says:

I was wondering why your video the other day was reversed, but if you’re using PhotoBooth that explains it. Definitely give iMovie a try.

You’re doing a great job, but If you don’t mind, I’d like to offer a small suggestion. I don’t know if you have any other lights in that room, but I find that bright light behind your head distracting. If you can turn it off or dim it, that might help. You might also want to experiment with other rooms to see if you can find a spot that will light you more from the front or side.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, PhotoBooth isn’t that great. I was just messing around with the program the other day, which is what prompted me to try vlogging for the first time. Never occurred to me to even try using a different program!

Agreed about the lighting. It’s a fail. I’m getting a dinner for the light behind me, and as for the lighting in general, it’s not that great at my place. Hopefully I can do more vlogging during the day time, when I can open the curtains and get more natural light in.

6. jay says:

I can’t bring myself to watch video online for some reason… probably habit from surfing at work, but also because I can read faster than I can listen (which is why news TV is not an option for me).

Your business cards look great! I like the complementary orange/blue side, it really pops.

Thanks!

And also, you aren’t missing much by not watching my videos. They are all lame and serve no purpose except to embarrass myself. :) Any important information I ever have to say will always be written as a traditional blog entry.

7. I shouldn’t laugh at you, but that might have been the most unintentionally hilarious thing ever.

8. ShoeGal says:

I love the business cards, the thickness and the colour are great!

Also the vlog was hilarious. Don’t be so hard on yourself. I am glad you posted it.

9. laura says:

Love the typewriter on the business cards!

10. Lori says:

You’re too hard on yourself!! You have such a great speaking voice and you look cute. Don’t stress the vlogging, realness is way more endearing than a perfectly staged vlog. Cool business cards btw!

11. Jade says:

haha thanks for sharing your post Krystal.

12. alex says:

dont be so hard on yourself! it happens! anyway if your using photo booth then its gonna be that way so everything looks mirrored. But try using imovie, click on the video camera in the left middle of the window and you can record from there. Hope this helps so you can make proper non mirrored videos ;). email me if you need some more help doing this or something.

13. Ali says:

Awesome VLOG.. haha
    I want pretty business cards too!

14. J. Money says:

I like those trees in the background!!! hot! :)

Hahaha, I don’t think I like the trees at all. But they were given to me as a housewarming gift, and it took 3 hours to stick them in place… so at the very least, they’re staying there for now.

15. Money Maker says:

You are a super cutie! I remember reading your blog years ago, but lost track of it, and just rediscovered you through Twitter.

I have braces also, but always makes me feel better when someone hipper and more beautiful has them. I really hope to see more vlogs from you. You are an inspiration. Keep up the good work!

16. John says:

That was a good first try. Just keep doing it, you will get better.

17. Dan Brown says:

Has this contest started yet Krystal?