My first attempt at vlogging

This is my very first attempt at vlogging, so please be kind. :)

I took just one take, and didn’t even read from a script! Although, maybe I should have.

I’m a writer, personal finance blogger, and marketing professional based in Vancouver. I’m a former Toronto Star (Moneyville) columnist, author of The Beginner’s Guide to Saving and Investing, and co-founder of the Canadian Personal Finance Conference. When I’m not working, you can usually find me running, playing field hockey, or plotting my next adventure.

1. Murray Lunn says:

Excellent first run on the video :)

Sound is great and lighting works out well – excellent results for the first one I’d say!

It’s a good format for quick updates so I say keep at it.

P.s. Cool penguin :)

2. That was cool!!! Congrats- you did good :)

I guess I’ll have those shots/ glass of wine now for you? ;)

Have fun at the financial blogger conference! I can’t wait to read David Chilton’s book too- I should check and see if its out yet.

3. Nice vlog! How difficult was it to get all the technology set up?
    The only thing I’m wondering is, why is it a mirror image?

4. I LOVE THIS! Now .. we have to meet. Because I will never vlog and this is kind of creepy if you think about it when I know you and you don’t know me….!

5. SO CUTE!!!!! You are awesome. Can’t wait for FINCON!!!

6. Preet says:

Awesomeness. See? Nothing to worry about. You should do them more often. I’m still wrestling with doing a weekly video, but then I would have to erase the dirty drawings on my chalkboard wall and dammit those things take time lol

7. jolie says:

how exciting!! That was so much fun to watch :-)

8. Martilyo says:

So awesome! You did very well for your first video. You should be proud!

9. Bank Guru says:

You Rocked It! Great piece!

10. MA says:

If you do script these, you should post the (trans)scripts because I doubt I’m the only person who categorically refuses to watch videos on the web for content (as opposed to entertainment).

Thanks for your comment! I don’t think I’m ever going to vlog anything important, to be honest with you. I don’t think I want to turn into that kind of blogger. Any sort of real content I will always write out as a blog post. My vlogging efforts will strictly be for entertainment purposes, or to recap information that you can already find on the blog. :)

11. Wow congrats! You looked great. Love the tree stencil on the wall. :)

12. Rina says:

Love it!!! Dude you are so brave! Fantastic first time vlog (can someone tell me is it veelog or vlog like blog??.

13. Cute~Ella says:

SO nice to meet you!

14. Erica says:

You did a great job. I don’t like the whole idea of vblogging. Maybe before other people live in my house, or cuz I would get way to nervous and mess up, but nicely done.

Yeah I never really got behind the whole vlogging idea either. Not exactly sure what prompted me to record something… I might keep doing it in the future, but only just to say quick 90 second messages – never to broadcast anything important. :)

15. Rafiki says:

You did awesome. I thought it was done very well.
    Nice to meet you.

16. Ro says:

Great! Don’t be shy … do them often! Looking forward to many more in the future.

17. munchkin says:

Your first video was awesome and by the way you can’t even tell you have braces!!!
    It was kind of cool to hear your voice after all the time it’s like I know you now. lol.

Hahaha yeah now if I could only get all of the other bloggers and GMBMFB readers to post their own videos, then I’ll feel like I know you guys too! :P

Also yeah, I have huge clown lips, which are really helpful in covering up my braces. :) The only noticeable difference is that I speak with a bit more of a lisp now than I used to.

18. Great video blog – looking forward to meeting you in Chicago!

19. tim says:

hottie!!! you are so cool.

20. Byrocat says:

Not a bad first attempt! Keep up the great effort!

One nit-pick, and its not a major one — your new floor lamp really darkens your face. Turn on the desk lamp as well so you’re not sitting with your back to the light.

Thanks! Yeah, I actually had my desk lamp turned on, and the window in front of me was wide open. It was recorded in the evening though, so there probably wasn’t as much light as there could have been. Will try to remedy the situation for the next time. :)

21. Ginna @ MPP says:

Ahh! I love it! I thought about doing a vlog too, but I have no idea what I would talk about. :) Do more, I love it! :)

22. ADORABLE. Love it to pieces.

23. SP says:

yay! How fun! Way to branch out! It is so fun to see you “in person”

Do more!

24. ShoeGal says:

This is great I really love it and hope to see more!!! You look adorable.