August 2011 Goals
A bunch of fun, exciting things are happening in August – including a weekend trip to Seattle to watch some baseball, and a 5-day trip with my family to San Francisco. :) Other than that, I’m really hoping to go on a hike, and also maybe catch a Vancouver Canadians game. And a Salmonbellies game.
August 2011 Goals:
- Make an additional $2,100 above and beyond my FT job. Someone commented that perhaps I don’t need to work as hard on freelancing if it means sacrificing other areas of my life. I’m going to keep trying to hit my targets for a few more months … and if I still feel like I’m stretching myself too thin, then I’ll reevaluate and see where I should go from there. Who knows. Perhaps drastic changes need to be made, or maybe just a few minor tweaks will help me achieve my goals.
- Call bank to max out my bi-weekly payments at 20%. That would mean contributing approximately $60/bi-weekly more than I’m already paying ($600/bi-weekly). My minimum mortgage payments are $1,098/month.
- Contribute $650 to Retirement Portfolio. Right now I’m contributing between $500-600/month. I’d like to see if I can start contributing more than that without it affecting my other savings goals.
- Sell or give away at least 3 things. This was a failed goal from July, so I’m bringing it forward into August. I have a brand new, never been used Blackberry from Mobilicity. Need to get rid of it. Anyone in need of an awesome new phone? Also, I want to sell my $600 mountaineering boots.
- Buy a desk and a chair and set up my work station. This is becoming a necessity.
- Unpack the rest of my boxes. I’m down to 3 boxes.
- Run or hike at least 100km total. Field hockey season is right around the corner, and for some reason I made the top team in the club. Time to get serious with my fitness.
- Go on at least 1 day hike. Even if it’s just a short solo hike somewhere. A friend is coming into town, so we’ll probably end up doing The Chief, Joffre Lakes, Seymour, or some other short-ish day hike.
- Book flight to Chicago for the Financial Blogger Conference. I’ll probably fly out of Bellingham, since flights seem to be about $150 cheaper, and parking is also cheaper. Plus, with the NEXUS pass now it should be a breeze getting across the border.
- Start to think about my next trip. After Chicago in September, I don’t actually have any other trips planned. I always like having something to look forward to, so where should I go next? It looks like I’ll be headed to Toronto in January on a business trip, so I could possibly tack on a side trip to Montreal! And I’ll probably be headed to either Louisiana or Miami (maybe both) in February (again on business). So, I could hit up New Orleans (although I was just there earlier this year), or the Florida Keys. Or both!? Well, maybe not both. Decisions, decisions.
- Get my business cards printed (finally). This was another failed goal from July. At least I’ve figured out what my identity is going to look like. Now it’s time to make it official.
- Create the skeleton of my online portfolio. Right now I have a half-assed landing page, plus the visual concept in my head … and that’s about it. It’s not that I don’t want to do it, I just don’t have the time. But the Financial Blogger Conference is coming up, and I need to get going with this.
Ongoing 2011 Annual Goals:
- No buying lunch, snacks or coffee during the work week
- No buying clothing, shoes or accessories until December 31, 2011
- Work out at least 3x/week
Author: Krystal Yee
I’m a writer, personal finance blogger, and marketing professional based in Vancouver. I’m a former Toronto Star (Moneyville) columnist, author of The Beginner’s Guide to Saving and Investing, and co-founder of the Canadian Personal Finance Conference. When I’m not working, you can usually find me running, playing field hockey, or plotting my next adventure.