Shopping ban

I haven’t bought any clothes for myself since my trip to Las Vegas in mid-July (besides my field hockey uniform, which was essential). That’s 3 entire months! Not even any sports clothes, and that is definitely my weakness. But I have everything that I need. And the things that I wished I had, I don’t really need.

So, my goal is to not buy any kind of clothing, shoes or accessories until Boxing Day sales. There are a few things I want, like a pair of TOMS shoes, a Lululemon hoodie (I bought one 3 years ago & wear it all the time, but it’s looking really worn and ragged), and maybe a few other wardrobe pieces (a few pairs of tights, brown boots – if I can find a great pair on sale,  & a brown belt), but the hoodie and TOMS shoes are the 2 things that I really want to get. I hear TOMS are sold cheaper at Nordstrom, so I might head across the border to do a bit of shopping. They have a Lulu outlet store there too, so that’s convenient.

And then after that, I am challenging myself to go on a clothing, accessories and footwear ban for most of 2011, until my trip to NYC in either September or October of next year. It might not seem like much of a challenge to some people, but it is for me. :) I think it’s going to be really hard for me, especially when ski season rolls around and I get obsessed with toques, scarves & layers of hiking clothes.

Comments

1. Maureen says:

Krystal I also am trying to spend as little as possible on clothing over the next year. If I need anything then I am firstly going to check my local Red Cross secondhand store. i have had a couple of nice tops from this store and they were brand new and cost around $6.00 each. After that I will check Ebay I usually put in to see the listings cheapest price first and if you are lucky you can pick up some great bargains for a dollar plus postage. And for Birthdays Christmas and Mothers Day I will ask for vouchers to get anything else I need. Wish me luck it,s going to be a Retail less year.
    My recent post Birthday-s and Births

2. Maureen says:

My recent post Birthday-s and Births

3. Amy says:

I'm doing a clothing / accessories shopping ban for the month of November. I am going to try the 30 for 30 challenge – using only 30 pieces you already own (including shoes, but does not include PJs, workout clothes, undies, etc.), create 30 different outfits for one month and don't buy anything new. November is the perfect time to do it since it'll help save money for Christmas gifts. I'm already picking out my 30 pieces!

Then, hopefully, I'll be too busy to shop for myself in December, and then I'll be showered with clothes and shoes at Christmastime ;)
    My recent post Thankful

4. Amy says:

My recent post Thankful

5. findingserenity2010 says:

Good luck with that! I'm trying to make my already-stretched wardrobe stretch for the remainder of the semester, with only $25 a month going towards any clothing purchases. So far, it's working, but even second-hand store and garage sale clothes only go so far when you have a small wardrobe to begin with. I just evaluated my wardrobe and found that I own more t-shirts than all my other clothes put together. I got into a bad habit of getting those and wearing them all the time in college. And I can't wear those to work! Maybe I should add work clothes to my Christmas list …

6. findingserenity2010 says:

7. Fig says:

Good luck! I've had to cut back on shopping and it sucks. I really need new clothes but it's not a priority right now. I love your taste though… TOMS and Lululemon stuff is all on my "want" list. :)
    My recent post CC Debt Pity Party

8. Fig says:

Good luck! I've had to cut back on shopping and it sucks. I really need new clothes but it's not a priority right now. I love your taste though… TOMS and Lululemon stuff is all on my “want” list. :)
    My recent post CC Debt Pity Party

9. Looby says:

I did a 3 month clothing ban at the beginning of this year (although I broke it to buy a pair of olympic mittons!) and was thinking of having another but am starting a new job next month and I don't think anywhere has as lax a dress code as my current office so I am trying to collect a few smart pieces before I start.

• gmbmfb says:

Yeah, it's REALLY difficult to do a shopping ban when starting a new job. :) When I got the current job I have, I think I dropped a couple hundred dollars at the mall because my old job had a very casual atmosphere and I wanted to dress more professionally.

10. Looby says:

• gmbmfb says:

11. Jessica says:

I was just reading your post about your sister being debt-free. Perhaps she could do a few guest posts or maybe you could convince her to start a blog! I'd love to read her posts!

12. Jessica says:

13. Annie says:

I actually have a practically new Lulumon hoodie (blue/blue, size 8) that you're welcome to if you want it. It's only about a year old and hardly worn, so is in really good shape. You don't even have to wait until Boxing Day! :)

14. Annie says:

15. I was on a clothing ban last month and it was really hard! :( I can't help buying new clothes (especially if it was a good deal. I wasn't able to stick to it because I bought a tank top for $0.90. If I go shopping, BF always remind me to think of the question "Do you really need this?" And when you answer it, it's likely you are going to put the item back on the rack! It helps! :)

My recent post Montreal Trip

16. I was on a clothing ban last month and it was really hard! :( I can't help buying new clothes (especially if it was a good deal. I wasn't able to stick to it because I bought a tank top for $0.90. If I go shopping, BF always remind me to think of the question “Do you really need this?” And when you answer it, it's likely you are going to put the item back on the rack! It helps! :)

My recent post Montreal Trip

17. daveghl says:

I have figured a good way to shop on budget and keep your clothes collection fresh and seasonal – I spend up to 10 % of my salary each month on clothes, but buy not more than 1 item, except for underwear and socks. This approach keeps you satisfied that you bought something new regularly and is good for your wallet as well. You can read my post about it as well.
    My recent post Setting Budget for Shopping

• gmbmfb says:

I personally think that spending up to 10% of your income each month on clothing is a bit excessive. Perhaps this isn't the case for someone who is new to the work force and starting from nothing … but for me, I've been working for almost 5 years now, and 10% of my take-home income each month is around $350-400. Even in my first job, 10% of my take-home income was around $200-250/month. But that being said, you should do whatever works for you and your life. If you can fit that into your budget and it makes you happy, then that's great!

• daveghl says:

This is exactly why I say up to 10% – if you find that amount excessive on regular basis, then you can choose to spend less, but in case you needed some type of clothes, seasonal or for special occasion, let’s say, then you may find yourself in greater need to spend more money on clothes.
        My recent post Saving Young or Travelling the World