Matching tattoos

Before you start gagging, it’s not BF and I who are getting matching tattoos (I would never do something like that. EVER). :)

You’re not going to believe it. My mom wants to get a tattoo. Not just any tattoo. But matching tattoos with my sister and I. My first reaction was that my mom had officially lost it. She was in some crazy midlife crisis, because when I got my first tattoo when I was 18, she flipped out!

She wants us to get our last name (in Chinese characters) tattooed wherever we want (I want mine on the side of my ribcage – ouch!), since our last name will not be carried on once my sister and I get married and take on our future husbands last names. I don’t know about my sister, but I won’t be considering hyphenating my last name with BF’s when we eventually get married.

I personally think this is a fabulous idea. Our thought is that we’ll do it around Christmas time and I think will cost me about $100-150.

I’m a writer, personal finance blogger, and marketing professional based in Vancouver. I’m a former Toronto Star (Moneyville) columnist, author of The Beginner’s Guide to Saving and Investing, and co-founder of the Canadian Personal Finance Conference. When I’m not working, you can usually find me running, playing field hockey, or plotting my next adventure.

Comments

1. Erica says:

why in chinese characters? is that part of your background?

2. Erica says:

why in chinese characters? is that part of your background?

3. Anya says:

That's pretty cool. My mom went through something like that – getting a nose stud and her belly button pierced after seeing how much I'm enjoying my own piercings. Once I got my tattoos, she decided that she wanted one, too, but hasn't followed through on it – yet. I think our moms may be trying to live out certain desires and fantasies that we're "socially" acceptable for their time. These days, you can be pierced and tattooed and still be successful.

4. Anya says:

That's pretty cool. My mom went through something like that – getting a nose stud and her belly button pierced after seeing how much I'm enjoying my own piercings. Once I got my tattoos, she decided that she wanted one, too, but hasn't followed through on it – yet. I think our moms may be trying to live out certain desires and fantasies that we're “socially” acceptable for their time. These days, you can be pierced and tattooed and still be successful.

5. Not going into tattoos controversy….

But out of curiousity, why won't you be keeping your last name? Even the Canadian government encourages people to keep their last name even after marriage to avoid the hassle of all the paperwork and stuff.

6. Not going into tattoos controversy….

7. Jessie says:

I like that idea, but why in Chinese characters…? Why not just your last name as your last name?
    My recent post Wedding Budget

8. Jessie says:

My recent post Wedding Budget

9. MoneyMaus says:

I think this is a great idea! I couldn’t get a tattoo ever…I’m too chicken :)

10. MoneyMaus says:

I think this is a great idea! I couldn’t get a tattoo ever…I’m too chicken :)

11. That’s such a cute idea!
    My mother kind of went through the same thing where she all the sudden wanted to get a tattoo. Then she watched me get one and she changed her mind.

When Hubby and I got hitched we both added my name to our middle names and I took his name. I had a hard time deciding what to do so we had to compromise ;)

12. That’s such a cute idea!

13. Liz says:

If you want to come down to Seattle, I know a wonderful tattoo parlor here, run by two women (one of whom did a fantastic job on my large shoulder piece!).

14. Liz says:

15. LeMeow says:

That's such a good way to bond and so cute that it was your mom's idea.

16. LeMeow says:

That's such a good way to bond and so cute that it was your mom's idea.

17. Fig says:

I think that's a cute idea!
    My recent post My Financial Priorities

18. Fig says:

I think that's a cute idea!
    My recent post My Financial Priorities

19. julie says:

I think thats a cute idea! I always thought I would take my husbands last name and we've been married three years and I still havent let go. Still not sure what we'll do when we have kids

20. julie says:

21. I have one down my ribcage. It hurts, but it looks amazing. The wording is in hebrew, which is part of my heritage and special to me because so few people understand it.

I say go for it, but make sure you get it done well!

My recent post I did it I QUIT!

22. I have one down my ribcage. It hurts, but it looks amazing. The wording is in hebrew, which is part of my heritage and special to me because so few people understand it.

I say go for it, but make sure you get it done well!

My recent post I did it I QUIT!

23. Wow ! you're moms so cool! Where is your mom planning to get her tattoo? =)
    My recent post Weekend Ramblings and PF Blog Love- iPhone 4 Hunt Edition

• gmbmfb says:

She wants to get hers on the back of her neck or behind her ear?? I asked how professional that was since she works for the government in an office, and she said that she doesn't care and that they can't fire her. haha

24. Wow ! you're moms so cool! Where is your mom planning to get her tattoo? =)
    My recent post Weekend Ramblings and PF Blog Love- iPhone 4 Hunt Edition

• gmbmfb says:

25. missy says:

I think that's a great idea! My sisters and I are planning on doing the same thing. We still have no clue what we are going to get though. It's hard to get all 4 of us to decide on the same thing!

26. missy says: