Macbook Pro almost within reach

I am very close to buying a new MacBook Pro. I’ve been doing months of research on what exactly I’ll need, and who to buy from for the best possible deal. I’m getting a great deal by buying from a reputable online seller (trust me, I researched up on this big time). Basically I’m getting student discount pricing, and saving an additional $400  for a fully loaded 15″ MBP. Was going to go with the 17″, but it’s just a little too big for easy portability.

The total cost is $2,600. Go ahead, freak out a little. I’m freaking out too! It’s a lot to pay for a computer (less than I paid for my current one though). When I was researching laptops, I knew 2 things: it was going to be an Apple product, and it had to run multiple CS5 programs at once with minimal lag. I work my computers hard when I’m designing, and I need this to last me at least 5 years.

I was originally set to wait a year or so to upgrade to a new computer, because my current one – despite its inability to run CS5 without major lag (it can barely run CS4 when I downloaded the full trial version) – is in great condition. But with the release of CS5, my design business still getting work, and this new PT job opportunity, portability is so key. Especially in our house, where space is at a premium and I might have to relocate to a coffee shop or outside if BF is studying. Plus, the upgrades to the Adobe products are so crazy that I need to get out of CS3 and into CS5.

Right now I have about $1,200 in cash saved up from extra income that I’ve made over the past few months – which includes the $300 sitting in my Savings. I would have had more, but the weddings took a fair chunk of change out of my accounts. I put my iMac up for sale and have generated good interest at $1,100 … hoping to sell it for no less than $900 (anyone want to buy an awesome used computer?). That leaves me with about $300-500 left to make. I’ve got about $300 of guaranteed side income coming up, so once I get that, depending on how my iMac sells, I could have all the cash in hand! :) All that without having to dip into my regular FT job income.

Timeline for purchase is by the end of August. Hopefully mid-August.

Comments

1. strawberries says:

Seriously, this is awesome that you're saving up so that you can buy your new laptop in cash! It's a lesson I'm trying to learn, but find it so hard to not ust give in to instant gratification, and buy something i want on credit. I needed to read this today, to remind myself of the right way to buy things! :)
    ~ JanePlain

2. I got a refurb one from the Apple site. It was even cheaper than the discount.
    My recent post Another New Car

• gmbmfb says:

Yeah I checked out the refurbished section, but none of them were to the specifications I was looking for. Not enough RAM, etc. Plus it's hard to find the high res anti-glare option, since most people just get the standard glossy screen.

• gmbmfb says:

3. Ella says:

Wow that's great. Hubby has a MacBook Pro and while we don't know any designing, it is a great computer. It really is awesome that you plan and save to buy something. If I were you, I would just go and buy it, especially if I had some justfications like contract work :-)
    My recent post The He and His Debt

4. The iPhone changed me. I have converted and am a total Apple fan now!! Haha. I want to (one day) replace my PC with an Apple. ONE DAY. But I am really excited for you!! :)
    My recent post New Phones

• gmbmfb says:

Once you ditch your PC and get a Mac, you'll never go back. It's amazing. BF was all about his PC until he met me (he doesn't even own an iPod!). Now he's obsessed with the iPhone, iPad, and most things Apple-related. :)

• gmbmfb says:

5. Carrie says:

how funny. i just posted today about why i'm selling my macbook pro and switching to an imac. i honestly think 15" is still too big for easy portability.
    My recent post The Core i7 iMac of my Dreams

6. Carrie says:

how funny. i just posted today about why i'm selling my macbook pro and switching to an imac. i honestly think 15″ is still too big for easy portability.
    My recent post The Core i7 iMac of my Dreams

7. Bridget says:

I want a macbook pro so bad — but want, not need (though my fellow grad students beg to differ blah blah blah something about presentations and keeping your data at your bench or something WHATEVER). I have an iMac at home (plus an iPod touch plus AppleTV) and I love it. I'm such an Applehead.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy one too, but I think I might just get the 13" one. HUGE savings for just shedding 2 inches off that screen..
    My recent post Magic!

8. Bridget says:

Anyway, I'm planning to buy one too, but I think I might just get the 13″ one. HUGE savings for just shedding 2 inches off that screen..
    My recent post Magic!

9. maureen says:

Good for you saving up to accomplish buying something as expensive as that. My congrats
    My recent post At Last Husbands On Board

10. Erica says:

I absolutely love my macbook that i got over a year ago. I haven't had any of the issues I had when i had a PC and I will never ever go back! Great job on saving up for the new purchase.

11. Anon says:

Nobody who even remotely pushes their computer and has any financial resources will go five years without an upgrade, come on!

(Says the guy who replaced a video card he bought in 2005 just last night.)

• gmbmfb says:

Ugh, I know. I thought my current, fully loaded iMac would last me 5-6 years. I bought it 4 years ago, and it's already completely inadequate for what I need.

12. I got my macbook pro on boxing day last year and just LOVE IT. It's so fast (I was a PC user) and I am a happy convert. Congrats on the online income and paying for it with extra money! You should also be able to claim your macbook for some business related expenses, but I"m sure you already know that. =)
    My recent post Credit Card Statement Changes

13. munchkin says:

Hmm thinking about going Apple for my next computer…lol
    My recent post More Vacation Updates

14. You know something delightful? When I first read your blog a few years back, you'd just uploaded a photo of your new iMac! or at least I think it was new – either that, or you'd just moved into a new place and set it up (you were living on the Island). I remember being all excited when I saw the photo because I'd just made the switch to a macbook (just before Apple really took off) and i felt like I'd met a kindred spirit — a fellow money blogger AND an Apple woman! How time goes by, eh? Anyway h/t on the forthcoming MPB and high five for being one of the bloggers who's kept it going for a substantial period of time. xo from Yellowknife!
    My recent post What do you mean when you say “Want” v “Need”

• gmbmfb009 says:

I remember that post! :) I had just gotten the iMac and was so freaking proud of it. Back then I think it was just you and a few other people reading this blog. Seems like such a long time ago, eh? There aren't many of us left from way back then and I'm glad that we're both still around!

15. You know something delightful? When I first read your blog a few years back, you'd just uploaded a photo of your new iMac! or at least I think it was new – either that, or you'd just moved into a new place and set it up (you were living on the Island). I remember being all excited when I saw the photo because I'd just made the switch to a macbook (just before Apple really took off) and i felt like I'd met a kindred spirit — a fellow money blogger AND an Apple woman! How time goes by, eh? Anyway h/t on the forthcoming MPB and high five for being one of the bloggers who's kept it going for a substantial period of time. xo from Yellowknife!
    My recent post What do you mean when you say “Want” v “Need”

• gmbmfb says:

16. Andrea says:

That's awesome, good job on saving up for the great Apple laptop! I am still using my ancient PC, and will no doubt need to replace it soon. I think I'll be getting a Pro as well, even though it is a lot of cash to fork over…but I think it's worth it! Good luck in your journey to saving the money for this machine, hope you have fun with your new toy!
    My recent post MB470LL-A MacBook Pro 154 Inch Laptop updated Thu Jul 29 2010 6-26 pm CDT

17. Andrea says: