My next big purchase

So at work, I just got the Adobe CS5 upgrade. Let me tell you – IT IS AMAZEBALLS. I wish I had time just to play around with it and figure out how all the new features work. But I’m just so swamped at my job, it’s just kind of status quo as far as design goes.

Which brings me to my next big purchase: a new personal computer. I’ve been mulling over another iMac desktop or taking the plunge and getting a Macbook Pro. The iMac is the best value for my money, which is why I originally bought an iMac 5 years ago. But now I think I want the portability of the MBP. I want to be able to take it with me when I meet clients (so much better and more professional than carrying around a USB stick or a burned CD), take it traveling (or when I go home), and have the option of using a computer on my bed or on the couch. Being chained to my desk sucks. PLUS a desktop computer takes up too much space, and in our house – where space is always at a premium – it’s best to have a small computer footprint.

So my plan is to wait until Apple has one of their “back to school” promos where you get a free iPod when you buy a new computer (I have a current student number, but I’m not registered for any classes yet). So I’ll get the education discount, sell the iPod to offset the cost of the new laptop, then sell my iMac.

As for the smaller size of the laptop screen (15″ or 17″ compared to my current 24″ iMac), my dad has a couple of flat screen computer monitors I could possibly use to hook up to the laptop when I want to have a bigger screen to do intense design work. But a really nice 24″ monitor can be found for about $200-250 these days, so I’m not worried about the cost of a screen.

I think after the $$ I would get from selling the iPod and my iMac, I would still have to come up with about $800-1000 for the MBP. This isn’t an immediate purchase, but it’s coming up quickly. If I can save up the money by the fall, then I’ll buy the new laptop this year. Otherwise I’ll have to wait until next year. Which isn’t exactly ideal, but I could do it.

Comments

1. Brian says:

I have an early 2008 Macbook and can already see myself purchasing a MBP down the road. As for CS5 … does the BF know how cool it is when you talk software one day and hockey the next? :)

• gmbmfb says:

Haha BF is definitely not a computer nerd. I don't think he's ever tried to use an Adobe product before in his life. But he doesn't know what he's missing!

2. gmbmfb009 says:

3. Bonnie says:

I just got a 2010 Macbook and LOVE it! Could you get that instead? Or do you need the Pro?

4. gmbmfb009 says:

Yeah I need the Pro to be able to run the programs I need to run. The regular Macbook just won't cut it unfortunately. :(

5. Serendipity says:

I'm in the market for a new laptop as well, so I'm trying to hold out until back to school deals are. here.

6. Liz says:

You can probably get a refurbished one (from Apple) for somewhat less, and they have them fairly regularly… but there's no iPod to sell with that. I love my MacBook (got it used on Craigslist, with Apple Care!).

7. Serendipity says:

8. Michael Harr says:

Instead of buying a monitor, buy a new HDTV with an HDMI port and pickup a cable online (or setup your connection wirelessly). You pick the size and it'll likely be around the same cost or slightly more, but you'll get more functionality than a simple computer monitor. Besides, the picture quality will be considerably sharper.
    My recent post Annual Returns of Select Indexes – The Callan Chart