Running & my EI Claim

So today I ran 5km in 26:32, which gives me an average pace of 5:16 per km. It’s not a great time, but it’s where I was expecting to be at based on my laziness and crappy fitness level right now. My goal by the end of the summer is to run a 10km in less than 45 min. Which really should be doable, since I used to run a sub-40 min. 10km back in the day.

I’m thinking of buying a gym punch card to the local recreation centre. I know I shouldn’t be spending the money (it’s about $45 for a 10x pass or $50/month), but it would really be nice to get out of the house. And it’ll be just until I find a job (fingers crossed that won’t be too long). Plus, I like running in a controlled environment for now. Especially when I start running in my VFFs. We’ll see. Maybe I just need to kick myself in the butt harder and really focus myself to workout at home. It worked when I had a job, but I was also out of the house every single day.

I’ve also filled out the necessary paperwork for my EI claim and have gotten instructions mailed to me. Although, it says on the website that just because I’ve received the instructions in the mail, it doesn’t mean I’m eligible for EI. Not really sure when I know if I’m eligible? I seriously think they purposely make it confusing and annoying to apply for EI. The website doesn’t make sense at all. But, it looks like based on my claim information, I’d be eligible for up to 45 weeks of EI at a rate of $457 per week – which is the maximum allowed. I’m going to give Employment Services a call tomorrow sometime to find out if I’m eligible and when I can start my claim (I have 2 conflicting dates on my instructions that were mailed to me, and on the website).

Comments

1. Shenanigans says:

I haven't had to deal with EI in two years (and I only actually received money from them once, as I was immediately employed in a contract position, which required me to continue reporting to EI until it was certain I would be at the job for a while.) This contract position is ending on April 9th though, so I'll probably have to apply again before that date to make sure my paperwork is complete and to reduce the waiting period (there is still a possibility I will be employed before then, but I like being on top of it.)

Anyways, my point is that EI is annoying. You have to report any earnings while they figure out what's going on, and it can easily take 2, 3, 4 weeks for them to give you an answer after you've submitted your paperwork and ROE. Fortunately I had an excellent person dealing with my case and they were very consistent at keeping me updated. They will call you when they've decided something.

• gmbmfb says:

I was on EI back in 2007 when I finished up a maternity leave contract, and it took ELEVEN WEEKS for me to get my 1st EI payment (by then I had already found employment). It was absolutely ridiculous. Nobody called me to follow up or talk to me. I always was the one who had to call in for information, and would always get stuck on hold for at least 30 min. each time. Such a freaking pain in the butt.

2. Kate says:

Even if you get turned down for EI, make sure you appeal. I represent people who get fired, and lots of them get approved for EI through the appeal process.

3. What did they put as the reason for leaving on your ROE? That's going to depend on if you get accepted or not.

4. my wife is on EI… once it gets going, it goes pretty smooth. money shows up pretty promptly ever two weeks. She gets that max amount which is great and keeps the bills paid (we actually *feel* richer cuz now we have no daycare expense).
    My recent post Capital Rock City #94 //Mindil Beach Markets, Hot Hot Heat, Treelines, Santa Clara

5. The Rat says:

I've been fortunate to not have to go on EI and have heard that the process can be time consuming and somewhat frustrating. Best of luck, I hope you get it soon.!
    My recent post Rethinking Mutual Funds & Biting The Bullet With MERs

6. Doctor Stock says:

I don't know… I'd be proud of that time. Good luck with EI.
    My recent post Investment News You Need to Know

7. j says:

i have been waiting 3 months still no word from e.i.

8. j says: