The first day of unemployment

The last time I was unemployed, I came home and applied for every single marketing & communications job I could find on the internet, in some sort of blind rage. Which resulted in about a bazillion interviews and turning down a lot of crappy, low paying job offers. It was super stressful but at least everybody it seemed was hiring. I ended up taking a job with a non-profit organization in Vancouver. It was a good job in terms of networking, but it really wasn’t the right fit for me. I just wanted a job that would look good on my resume, and would be a good starting point while moving to a new city. So I took it. And I’m glad that I did because I made a lot of good industry contacts, and I made 2 or 3 friends there that I still hang out with.

This time? It’s totally different. I’m less stressed out. Yup, it totally sucks getting fired. But I believe in myself. I’m living with BF, and I have minimal expenses (aside from car and cell phone everything is variable). I can easily live off of EI benefits while I look for a job that suits me. I just won’t be able to save any money. Which does suck, but it’s the best-case scenario because I (hopefully) won’t be losing any money either. That is, if I’m eligible for EI. I applied last night and am waiting for my paperwork to be mailed to me. On EI I can receive a maximum of $457/week (or $914 bi-weekly). Which is less than half of what I was making before. It is what it is, right?

What am I going to do today, my first official day of being unemployed? Probably eat cookies for breakfast. Then go deposit my last pay cheque, pick up ingredients to make BF a pumpkin pie (and chicken enchiladas tonight) … mail off my ROE for my EI claim … and then probably attempt the No More Trouble Zones DVD again. Orrrr maybe not. I’m feeling just so out of it. I don’t even have the energy to look at the job boards because I know I’ll just see my stupid job posting and it’ll get me angry. I also noticed yesterday when looking at the posting that the starting wage is significantly lower than what I was making … so they’re looking for someone who is more skilled than me, but are willing to pay less!? Good luck to them!

***EDIT***
I couldn’t help it. I applied for one job today. It’s with an organization I’ve had 2 interviews with in the past, and 1 job offer. This is a huge organization with pretty much unlimited room for growth, and seems like a really good fit for my personality. So we’ll see.

Comments

1. pBob says:

too bad you want to remain anonymous on here. I think your blog could be your biggest asset! Whether you’re good at what you do (marketing right?) or not, your blog shows an intelligence that you can’t show on a resume or in an interview. If I were hiring right now, that would be good enough for me to offer you a job.

2. pBob says:

too bad you want to remain anonymous on here. I think your blog could be your biggest asset! Whether you're good at what you do (marketing right?) or not, your blog shows an intelligence that you can't show on a resume or in an interview. If I were hiring right now, that would be good enough for me to offer you a job.
    My recent post This is the first blog post in Finance

3. MelanieMH says:

I hate to say welcome to the club…but you know what I mean.
    The job market is tough (although I am not applying to every job, and definitely being more selec tive than the last time.) I have not applied for EI and won't, but I do have a pt job that brings me in some cash to pay for bills,etc.

You actually have it pretty good with your living situation and it just means a slight readjustment to your saving. Plus you seem to do a lot of contract work, so maybe now would be the time to think about going freelance! :)

Anyway, best of luck and know that all these things happen for a reason….sometimes a door opens when you least expect it.

4. FruGal says:

Don't even look at jobs for at least a weel. Just take some time to cool off and think what you want to do next. Job hunting is a waste of time unless you are in the right frame of mind, so just take it easy for a couple of weeks. Good luck though. I know what you're going through – whatever you do don't lose faith in yourself because of one lousy experience! :)
    My recent post When was the last time you tweaked your budget?

5. beskeie says:

hey krystal, hang in there. you've got a ton of ppl rooting for you. i would also have to agree with pBob…hopefully you can maybe use you blog to get a gig. hugs! dont know what i could do but if you need something, please go ahead and ask!
    My recent post Another 30 Day Shred Victim! (Day 1)

6. Money Beagle says:

I did the same thing when I got let go from a job a few years ago. I was on the freeway driving home by 10am and by noon, I was already e-mailing my resume around and contacting every single person I'd ever met to try to get in. Looking back, I would have decompressed for a few days, let things soak in, and started with a more focused, fresh state of mind. If you have the ability to let the dust settle, go for it.

Depending on how much you plan on using the old place for references, etc, you could always be somewhat of a smarta$$ and try send your resume for your old position. If the place is as misguided as you say, chances are you'd even get a callback!
    My recent post Net Worth Review: March 2010

7. Carrie says:

Yeah, maybe you could consider getting more involved in blogging… ? You're good at it. :)

8. Ella says:

I hope you get that job! Keeping my fingers crossed for you

9. I agree with FruGal.

Take some time to do the things that you LOVE. Climb a mountain, go skiing! :)

10. FrugalDreamer says:

I agree with FruGal.

Take some time to do the things that you LOVE. Climb a mountain, go skiing! :)

11. eemusings says:

It’s awesome that your costs are so low right now. Good luck with that job app – I STILL can’t believe they went behind your back and advertised your job like that….
    My recent post Hurrah! We’re not going to be homeless

12. eemusings says:

My recent post Hurrah! We’re not going to be homeless

13. Did they put you were let go because of a shortage of work or fired? SOW will be a routine to get your unemployment benefits, while being fired might need explaining.

I think you could do very well on $914 every 2 weeks if you are careful… you already know how to live on a budget so…

Take your time to make sure what you get into next is a right fit for you…

14. melissa says:

Didn't you do some jobs on the side before? perhaps you could find some more until you find a more stable job.

15. Shevy says:

I fell asleep last night instead of reading blogs, so I'm kind of late chiming in here. I'm really, really sorry to discover that you lost your job and in such an unprofessional way. Your boss really needs a serious wake up call.

First of all, please at least look into the issue of wrongful dismissal. EI is supposed to be very difficult to get if you're fired (although a lot depends on how they write up the ROE). If they said the job description totally changed and you don't have the skills for the job as it exists now you may be okay. Anyway, you weren't in your first 3 months, you hadn't had a bad performance review, you hadn't had a written warning. It doesn't sound like they really have any kind of paper trail that they can use to justify firing you. Please check it out. You might end up with a lot more than 3 weeks severance!

16. MoneyMaus says:

When I was in college & starting my real-world job hunt, I couldn't get enough of looking up jobs online! It sort of became a serious hobby, lol. So, if I ever got laid off, I wouldn't be able to NOT take a peek online ;)

17. That is so terrible of your co-workers to go behind your back. Very rude of them and unprofessional. I hope that you are able to take a little bit of time off to enjoy yourself and your time off and then find an even better job that you love. Good luck to you!!

18. shoplessjess says:

so sorry to hear about your job! it is so aggravating when different people tell you different things about what is expected of you at work, and then due to people not holding up their end, you are let go. i was let go from my job a little more than a year ago, and realized what a crappy job it was after (even though the people were great). now i have a much better understanding of how you need to communicate with your supervisors and what a good working environment actually is. i went from that non-profit to a marketing company now… i am not an expert in the field either… but people are more than willing to teach me and i pick up a lot so i think i am ok. they are slowly upping my hours there (i am part time). i am proofing/writing there, which i guess is easier to get by than design.

oh yea, i made a job search blog girlmeetsjob.blogspot.com that treated job searching like looking for a relationship… but after i found one i didn't update it. take a look if you'd like.

good luck krystal!

19. shoplessjess says:

i’m thinking about you and know you will land on your feet. i always enjoy reading your blog and hope to hear some good news soon…but not too soon so you can fit in some good you time. just don’t be all mopey like i was for months. ><" oh yea, i made a job search blog girlmeetsjob.blogspot.com that treated job searching like looking for a relationship... but after i found one i didn't update it. take a look if you'd like. good luck krystal!