Here are my goals for 2010. I think that they’re well-rounded and hit on most aspects of my life. Some of them are going to be a challenge to meet, but I’m up for it! :)
- $35,000 Retirement Portfolio. CHECK! As of writing this, my balance stands at $35,541 with over 2 months left before the 2010 RRSP deadline of March 1, 2011.
- $5,000 Emergency Fund. FAIL! I have less than $3,500 in my EF. At one point this year I was very close to reaching my $5,000 target, but then I lost my job and had to live off my EF for almost 2 months. After that, BF went back to school and my focus became supporting the both of us.
- $3,000 Savings Fund. FAIL! I have less than $500 sitting in this account. Since we became a single-income family this year, I couldn’t focus on everything. Instead, I decided to throw my savings at my RRSPs and replenishing my Emergency Fund.
- $1,000 Travel Fund. FAIL! I have less than $300 in this account. To be fair, I did a lot of traveling this year AND I’ve prepaid for my flights and accommodation for my trip to Toronto/NYC in May 2011. My goal is to keep a $1,000 cushion in this account so that if any unexpected travel comes up, I will have the money saved for it – without having to eat into my monthly budget, other savings, or Emergency Fund.
- Establish a joint savings account with BF. CHECK! We opened up a joint ING savings account to house or down payment.
- Make an additional $5,000. CHECK! I was able to make an additional $8,607.46! This was from my PT job, freelance work, and this blog. I am very pleased.
- Make 3 extra payments to my car loan. FAIL! I only made one extra payment this year.
- Climb 4 mountains. FAIL! We climbed 2 mountains this year, and did one 3-night hike on the Juan de Fuca Trail. Because I started playing field hockey, I am committed to games every Saturday, which makes it hard to get away.
- Go on a vacation with BF. CHECK! We went to Hawaii and it was FABULOUS!
- Go on a trip with my sister. CHECK! We went to Coombs, and we also went to Mexico for a family vacation.
- Go on a trip by myself. FAIL! I wanted to get away, but in the end I couldn’t justify spending the money – especially since we were relying on just my income to get by.
- Take my dad to a baseball game. FAIL!
- Go kayaking. FAIL!
- Read at least 1 novel per month from the library. CHECK! I read: The Book of Negroes, Dear John, Have a Little Faith, Shanghai Girls, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Next, Sarah’s Key, Savor the Moment, Peony in Love, Whiter Shades of Pale, and The RESP Book.
- Join a local field hockey team. CHECK! I actually ended up joining two teams. :)
- Maintain an updated resume. CHECK! My resume is up-to-date, looking good, and all references are still valid.
- Maintain LinkedIn profile. CHECK! I definitely see its value in my industry, and I’ve started to add a lot more contacts.
- Go on 2-3 mock interviews. CHECK! I’ve been on 6 real interviews this year.
- Take 3 seminars. FAIL! I just went to one seminar while on a business trip in Vegas.
- Print business cards for side business. FAIL! I should have really done this, but I get a decent amount of business through existing clients and referrals. Besides, I doubt I could take on more than I am right now.
- Put side business website back online (and probably update it). FAIL! I actually started to create it and figure out the layout, then just dropped it once I got the PT job blogging.
- Buy the perfect suit. CHECK! Bought a suit blazer from Banana Republic to pair with existing black pants.